BlitzMax Mac OS X Lion install (XCode 4.3.1)

BlitzMax Forums/BlitzMax Beginners Area/BlitzMax Mac OS X Lion install (XCode 4.3.1)

ima747(Posted 2012) [#1]
I've been forced to upgrade to XCode 4.3.1 and with that lion as well. Now BlitzMax doesn't run. Scoured the forums and haven't found anything to fix it yet.

Problem: Trying to compile gives an sh error saying a command is missing.
Solution: Installed the Command Line Tools to accompany Xcode. Available at Apple Developer Downloads. There is a new version dated March 2012 to accompany the new 4.3.1 version of Xcode.

Problem: Trying to compile things fails in many c files. Includes of standard headers (<AppKit/AppKit.h>, <stdio.h>, etc.) gives error 19, no such file or directory.
Solution: ?
I'm currently stuck on this. I *think* that I need to get an SDK for 10.6 for Xcode but I have no idea where to find one...

Oddball(Posted 2012) [#2]
I had the same problem and reported it here. The only solution I found was to install Xcode 4.2.1, but that doesn't sound like it's an option for you.

ima747(Posted 2012) [#3]
yea, I HAVE to use 4.3.1 which uninstalled 4.2 (snow leopard version) when I upgraded... maybe if I install 4.2.1 along side some libs will magically appear... thanks for the heads up.

Jesse(Posted 2012) [#4]
I believe Mark is working on fixing it:
http://www.monkeycoder.co.nz/Community/post.php?topic=2415&post=24620

ima747(Posted 2012) [#5]
Yay! this gives me hope, thanks!

ima747(Posted 2012) [#6]
FWIW, I installed 4.2.1 allong side 4.3.1 and no dice. I removed 4.3.1 and still not working... I'm downloading 4.3.1 again now, to use it to properly remove 4.2.1, I will then uninstall 4.3.1 and re-install 4.2.1 so that's the only thing involved but I don't have high hopes... expecting another 1.5gb download after that fails to get back to 4.3.1 and then either cross my fingers for magic from Mark, or look into a fresh 4.2 install on my Mini with Snow Leopard which is going to make me a very very sad panda...

ima747(Posted 2012) [#7]
I got it working. It's a bit of a cluster-explitive but here's the skinny:

Assuming you're running lion, need to use Xcode 4.3.1 (assuming you're doing iOS dev otherwise probably easier to just not use it for now...) and need to use BlitzMax (you're on the forum so that's a pretty safe assumption).

1) Install Xcode 4.3.1 from the app store. Run it, configure it, make sure it's working.
2) Go to Apple Developer Downloads and download Xcode 4.2.1 installer.
3) Install Xcode from the 4.2.1 installer disc.
4) Here's where it gets silly... that installer you just installed? that installed an app called "Xcode Installer" in your applications folder... Run THAT and it will actually install Xcode 4.2.1.
5) Run BlitzMax and ensure things are compiling (YAY! BlitzMax works)
6) Run Xcode 4.3.1, it may require you to install some iOS connection tools again because 4.2.1 overwrote them with older version. This is JUST iOS stuff, it won't break blitzmax.
7) Clean house. Remove Xcode 4.2.1 from your dock so you don't accidentally get it confused with 4.3.1. Delete the Xcode installer app from your applications folder (it's huge, why waste the space). Toss the Xcode installer-installer disc image.
9) Boggle at the concept of a disc image with an installer that installs an app thats an installer to install what the disc image should have installed.

Captain Wicker (crazy hillbilly)(Posted 2012) [#8]
doesn't BlitzMax 1.47 fix this?

Oddball(Posted 2012) [#9]
Yes, but v1.47 came out after this was posted. Unless you are able to send the update back in time to three weeks ago then this thread will probably stay here.

jtfrench(Posted 2012) [#10]
Hats off to ima747 for figuring that out (even if a later update now addresses it). I know how frustrating that can be as the same thing happened to me when I updated to Lion for iPad/iOS 5.1 development.

Kudos :)

Captain Wicker (crazy hillbilly)(Posted 2012) [#11]
You know whats funny, Now I'm having this problem with Xcode 4.3.2!
I think Apple is trying to block third party developers now. Its the Battle for the BLITZ!!! XD

ima747(Posted 2012) [#12]
They're just changing their standards and blitz doesn't see a ton of active development so it lags. Nothings being restricted, just moved. My solution of installing 4.2.1 to support blitz and then ignoring it from that point forward is still working fine for me, blitz, including brucy's BMK and MaxIDE CE which are both even further behind work fine along side 4.3.2 for my iOS development. I'm just happy apple long long ago decided to let multiple versions of XCode co-exist happily together... just a shame that they made 4.2.1 bass ackwards under lion to install, which is doubly perplexing given their push towards simplified installs...

Captain Wicker (crazy hillbilly)(Posted 2012) [#13]

Last edited 2012

Captain Wicker (crazy hillbilly)(Posted 2012) [#14]
@ima747:
With the new max update, can't i just install Command Line tools?

EDIT: If Xcode was only moved, How can I get Blitz to pick it up?

Last edited 2012

ima747(Posted 2012) [#15]
newest blitz + XCode 4.3.1 or later + command line tools should be all you need, but if you move XCode the command line tools might not work (since they point to things inside Xcode) and as a result blitz won't work.

Captain Wicker (crazy hillbilly)(Posted 2012) [#16]
Is Xcode supposed to be in the '\Applications' directory? This is where it installed to.

EDIT: Also thanks ima747, I didn't know about these command line tools until you posted so again thank you! :D

Last edited 2012

SLotman(Posted 2012) [#17]
Installed command line tools, but it isn't working here either. With Bmax 1.47 (just downloaded it!)

All I get is:

ld: library not found for -lcrt1.o
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status

Strangely, compiling modules works...

Edit: nevermind, I had xcode.app in another folder instead of Applications

Last edited 2012

ima747(Posted 2012) [#18]
Are you running most recent OS X (10.7.3) and Most recent Xcode (4.3.2) along with the current bmax release? Might be worth re-installing xcode assuming everything is up to date. Worst case do a dual install like I outlined above (remember to install the installed installer so it installs... *grumble grumble*)