Adding an image to a push button

BlitzMax Forums/BlitzMax Beginners Area/Adding an image to a push button

Marco A G Pinto(Posted 2012) [#1]
Hello!!!

I have been trying to add an image to a button, but the image never appears there.

Here is what I am doing:
Import MaxGui.Drivers
Global image_open:TPixmap = LoadPixmap("images/open.png")
Global window:TGadget = CreateWindow( "ZX Life Shield Professional", 100, 100, 640, 480, Null, WINDOW_TITLEBAR|WINDOW_RESIZABLE|WINDOW_MENU|WINDOW_CLIENTCOORDS)
Global panel_top:TGadget=CreatePanel(6,16+8-4-2,632-4,67+16+16-16-4-2-4-8-4,window,PANEL_RAISED)
Global panel_top_snapshot1_ld_button:TGadget=CreateButton("",2+30+6,16+4+16-4-1,16+1,16+1,panel_top,BUTTON_PUSH)
SetGadgetPixmap(panel_top_snapshot1_ld_button,image_open,GADGETPIXMAP_ICON|GADGETPIXMAP_NOTEXT)
WaitKey

What am I doing wrong?

Thanks!

Kind regards,
>Marco A.G.Pinto
--------------------

degac(Posted 2012) [#2]
SuperStrict
Import MaxGui.Drivers
Global image_open:TPixmap = LoadPixmap("..\docs\src\brllogo.png")
Global window:TGadget = CreateWindow( "ZX Life Shield Professional", 100, 100, 640, 480, Null, WINDOW_TITLEBAR|WINDOW_RESIZABLE|WINDOW_MENU|WINDOW_CLIENTCOORDS)
Global panel_top:TGadget=CreatePanel(6,16+8-4-2,632-4,67+16+16-16-4-2-4-8-4,window,PANEL_RAISED)
Global panel_top_snapshot1_ld_button:TGadget=CreateButton("",10,5,64,48,panel_top,BUTTON_PUSH)

SetGadgetPixmap(panel_top_snapshot1_ld_button,image_open,GADGETPIXMAP_ICON|GADGETPIXMAP_NOTEXT)
WaitKey

Are you sure about the image path?
To me it works

col(Posted 2012) [#3]
@degac

Both don't work here. I can confirm that the image is indeed loaded and applied to the button, but it doesn't show up.

Using Win7 x64.
EDIT: Tried with Vista x86 and it still doesnt work.

Is there an update or redraw command required?

Last edited 2012

Marco A G Pinto(Posted 2012) [#4]
I am too using Windows 7 x64 and it doesn't work.

Maybe a bug in BlitzMax?

TomToad(Posted 2012) [#5]
Tried it and it didn't work. Updated to the latest version on the Account/Product updates page and it worked fine.

col(Posted 2012) [#6]
I'm using 1.45 already.

skidracer(Posted 2012) [#7]
Unfortunately MaxGUI has never supported images on buttons in any reliable manner and it is wrong of the documentation to suggest SetGadgetPixmap should be used on anything but Panels.

If you must use such non standard customizations as buttons with pictures all over them then use a MaxGui Panel with the active flag set.

Marco A G Pinto(Posted 2012) [#8]
@skidracer:
Could you give an example of how to do it?

Thanks!

Kind regards,
>Marco A.G.Pinto
--------------------

Marco A G Pinto(Posted 2012) [#9]
Buaaaaaaaaa... no example so far :(

I wonder if it wouldn't be easier to release an update that works with images?

I have been using other Windows programming language and it accepts images in buttons, so, how is it possible that this doesn't work in BlitzMax?

I am converting "ZX Life Shield Pro" from DarkBASICPro (blugui plugin) to BlitzMax.

:(

Kind regards,
>Marco A.G.Pinto
--------------------

Kryzon(Posted 2012) [#10]
Hi Marco,

if you don't find a way to extend the button gadget in MaxGUI to receive images, try using other solutions:

- wxMax (free, by Brucey)

- ProGUI (commercial, by PrincieD)

PS: I can't attest if ProGUI supports button images, but wxMax certainly does.

matibee(Posted 2012) [#11]
I misread your earlier post, I didn't realise you were waiting on an example...

As you can see I changed the panel color (and sometimes position) according to its messages, you could easily change the gadget pixmap instead.

The important thing is to make the panel "active" or it won't emit any messages.

Cheers