Can I use Blitzmax to create 2D for newLisp?

BlitzMax Forums/BlitzMax Beginners Area/Can I use Blitzmax to create 2D for newLisp?

Alessandro(Posted 2012) [#1]
Hello,

I'm a fan of Blitzmax, but I also love newLisp (http://www.newlisp.org): an open source newLisp implementation.

I wanted to use blitzmax to create a gui manager and a 2d engine for that great, open source, functional language.

Consider that I will not wrap blitzmax functions, but instead I wanted to use blitzmax to make a 2d engine in a "functional" fashion.

But I'm afraid that I could face licensing problkems: in fact I don't think I could use blitzmax to create a 2d for another language, even if it is open source. Is it correct?
Can I solve this fact in any way? Can I find a workaround for this?

Please help me, since I think newLisp really needs a good GUI and, furthermore, I think it is a great language to make 2D games.

But I even like BM, so I don't want to risk to make BM company loose money.

Can you suggest me something?

thank you for your help!!

Yasha(Posted 2012) [#2]
The core modules including Max2D and the BlitzMax runtime are available under the Blitz Shared Source Code Licence. Important parts of that are:

You may distribute executable applications built from this source code under your own licensing terms. You may not distribute static or dynamic library files based in whole or in part on this source code.

and

You may not publish this source code or any modified version of it elsewhere.

You could consider doing it the other way around:

1) Distribute your newLisp 2D engine as uncompiled BlitzMax source, without including any BRL source. newLisp users who own BlitzMax can then compile it themselves and still use it easily enough.

2) Create a newLisp module for BlitzMax. If BlitzMax calls newLisp rather than the other way around, there is no need to create dynamic or static libraries from BlitzMax code.

However, the GPL licence on newLisp is 1) incompatible with the BSSCL, which would technically mean you can't distribute the resulting application anyway (although only if Lutz complains - ask him for an exemption for the BSSCL components and you're fine); and 2) would allow people to redistribute what is effectively a newLisp interpreter + Max2D, unless you also got permission to add a "good taste" clause to the licence preventing them from using the module that way.

Last edited 2012

Alessandro(Posted 2012) [#3]
I think option (1) is good.

Option (2) is not feasible since my target is supply to newLisp programmers a good GUI engine and a good 2D engine.

I know that, about GPL, it is applied related to newLisp source code modifications, and newLisp-GPL license should not affect other programs related to newLisp self. I think...

I will talk to newLisp community for option (1): I don't know if people that use an open-source based language could accept to spend $80 to get a GUI and 2D engine.
Do you know if there are any other cases similar to this one? (even not related to newLisp obviously, but for, for example, for lua, angelscript, python, etc...)

Alessandro(Posted 2012) [#4]
Maybe I could find an agreement with BM company in order to create a runtime module (executable) to avoid newLisp people to buy blizmax just only to compile my engine. BM company could give me a "special" license for this product, and I could spread Blitzmax logo everywhere.