Inter-Process Communication (IPC) with B/Max

BlitzMax Forums/BlitzMax Beginners Area/Inter-Process Communication (IPC) with B/Max

SystemError51(Posted 2012) [#1]
Hi Blitzers,

short question. Not sure this is the right forum, but since I'm a N00b, I give it a go.

Okay, so imagine this situation: You have your game finished (well I don't but, just assume), and now you need a certain functionality to make it appeal to more people.

In this case I was wondering if IPC can be achieved with B/Max? I have seen a module on Google Code for it, but not sure if this is exactly what I need.

What it comes down to, is this: Your game is running. Now, someone made a plugin (a la Firefox) for your game, but that plugin is, therefore, separate from your code. The guy who made that plugin, compiled it into a separate executable.

The moment he executes it, it links in with your game and executes whatever is there.

Now let's go for the million:
Is that possible?

Cheers
Marcus

markcw(Posted 2012) [#2]
It's possible but you have to predesign it for the plugin capability and explain in what way the plugin code is restricted but this is usually used in apps for extending existing functionality such as file formats so I can't see how you could apply it to a game.

If you want my advice then keep it simple, just make a little game which is fun to play and has nice gfx and sounds. If you must extend the game's life then you can write some kind of editor or allow for custom gfx.

Last edited 2012

SystemError51(Posted 2012) [#3]
Hi markcw,

thanks for that!

I'm working on a relatively large and ambitious project. I want the game to be able to take in plug-ins, so that people can write their own extensions to the user interface. Meaning own little tools that hook in with the game's UI.