how to check an objects type

BlitzMax Forums/BlitzMax Beginners Area/how to check an objects type

Xin(Posted 2011) [#1]
hello guys. im trying to write a simple program that draws a laser from a turret object that can be blocked off as it hits a wall or another turret object like a laser pointer. the trouble comes in when i use a for loop to cycle through all the entities currently in existance within the turrets methods.

is there any way i can check for an instance's type while in a for loop without using a field? like

for i:entity=eachin entitylist

if(i.type=turret)

check for laser collision(x,y,i.x,i.y)

Nest(Posted 2011) [#2]
nm! without a field :(

Last edited 2011

Xin(Posted 2011) [#3]
is there no way to check without using a field? because what im doing seems to not return the right variables. it returns 0 if i dont cast it first but i want to avoid it because i dont want to cast a wall as a turret or the other way around. but i cant use a field because i wont be able to see it before casting it

Last edited 2011

Xin(Posted 2011) [#4]
wait nvm i figured it out. i stored all the games objects in an entitylist under the type entity. but in order to read its fields i have to cast it to the correct type. but in order to read its type field i have to cast it first which was the problem i was having. but i found a way around it by using a method to return the type field i want. methods work regardless, even if its a turret casted as an entity its methods will still work as long as the parent type has the same method.

Last edited 2011

Czar Flavius(Posted 2011) [#5]
You should make turret a type which extends entity, and then you can iterate for type turret. This will skip non-turrets automatically.

Xin(Posted 2011) [#6]
OOH so instead of iterating for entity just iterate for turret and it skips non turrets. i thought it converted non turrets into turrets. thanks! =D

Last edited 2011

Htbaa(Posted 2011) [#7]
You can try casting an object to a type. If that fails then it's not an object of that type, e.g.:

If MyType(obj) Then
    Print "obj is of MyType"
End If

Xin(Posted 2011) [#8]
:O OH so thats how you check for type thank you so much :D ive been trying to figure that out forever

Htbaa(Posted 2011) [#9]
You can of course use Reflection, but that's too slow.

Czar Flavius(Posted 2011) [#10]
In general you should avoid casting to check the type of an object, it can mean bad design. Use methods to get different behavior from different types.