FPS Question

BlitzMax Forums/BlitzMax Beginners Area/FPS Question

pc_tek(Posted 2011) [#1]
I have been messing with Max for a week or so now...and have a question about what FPS to choose.

The statement
Graphics 640,480,32,60

...will give me 60FPS at full screen, but if I change the value to 30...I get 30 FPS...etc.

What is the best FPS to write a game with? It's a simple match-4 game.

GfK(Posted 2011) [#2]
First, that's the screen refresh rate. Generally best to avoid changing that - just leave it at default.

Do a forum search for fixed step or delta timing - both have been discussed at length previously.

(Oh, and when you've done that, you'll want 60fps).

xlsior(Posted 2011) [#3]
The vast majority of LCD's use a 60Hz refresh rate, so sticking to the default 60 normally gives the best results.

But like Gfk said, use delta-timing inside your game itself, and don't mess with the display settings themselves.

Czar Flavius(Posted 2011) [#4]
Screen refresh rate and game frames per second are not the same thing!!!!!! Although your drawing frames may be limited to the current refresh rate.

30+ fps is usually considered smooth.

Last edited 2011

pc_tek(Posted 2011) [#5]
Are there any merits to using a CreateTimer(60) to use as a delay?

Yan(Posted 2011) [#6]
Screen refresh rate and game frames per second are not the same thing!!!!!!
Bearing in mind the context, and unless Max2D's 'softsyncing' has changed somewhere along the line, that's not entirely correct...Unsurprisingly.

http://blitzbasic.com/Community/posts.php?topic=57862#643729

ima747(Posted 2011) [#7]
If you use vsyncing with your flip call you will be limited to a maximum of the refresh rate... it could be lower if the system runs slowly. Refresh rate is limited by the hardware capability of the display primarily (even old graphics cards can handle high refresh rates so it's primarily the display).

Since you don't know that every user will have a display supporting 60hz, and you wouldn't want to artificailly limit someone's refresh rate (lower refresh can cause eye strain for a lot of people), and the game could cycle slower than the refresh even if it's bound to the refresh rate through vsyncing it's a bad idea to rely on the refresh to control your game speed.

As GFK mentioned there is delta timing, or a cycle timer, or any number of other ways to control your logic rates to get consistent game speed independent of refresh/draw speed/system speed/etc.

Rerfresh locking can be handy for quickly mocking something up, but if you ever want to run it on a computer other than your own with consistent results you need to make it not dependent on your system's configuration.