Can You Make A stand alone Executable

BlitzMax Forums/BlitzMax Beginners Area/Can You Make A stand alone Executable

Twinprogrammer(Posted 2011) [#1]
Hey Guys,

I was just wondering if you can make a stand alone executable.

twinprogrammer

GfK(Posted 2011) [#2]
It does that every time you run your program.

ziggy(Posted 2011) [#3]
Yes, no runtimes required. Everything pure machine code self-contained. Isn't it great?

Czar Flavius(Posted 2011) [#4]
Look in the same folder as your source code and there should be an exe. You can just put this in a folder (along with any graphics etc files it needs to load) and away you go! You should generate the exe in release mode if you are publically releasing.

H&K(Posted 2011) [#5]
http://www.blitzbasic.com/Community/posts.php?topic=94771#1088471

John G(Posted 2011) [#6]
Is "release mode" the same as "Build GUI App" vs Quick Build or other Build Options under the Program menu?

I've been unable to attach an Icon recently using IcoFX reporting that my .exe is either locked or compressed. ??

Czar Flavius(Posted 2011) [#7]
No. You can send release, gui app and quick build seperately.

John G(Posted 2011) [#8]
Thanks Czar. However, I may be still missing something. I'm using Bmax 1.42 on a PC with Windows 7 and standard MaxIDE 1.40. Under Program : Build Options there is a choice of Quick Build or Debug Build or Threaded Build or Build GUI App. Is "Release Mode" somewhere else? Thanks in advance.

ima747(Posted 2011) [#9]
Release mode is just NOT debug build. If debug is unchecked your in release. If you don't want the program to be able to spawn console windows then build it with GUI enabled (makes it not a command line executable but a full os GUI native type app). Threading should only be enabled if it's needed. The multithreaded garbage collector is a bit more flakey than the standard gc so save the headaches unless you have to use threading. Quick build only builds files that have changed since the last compile saving you a lot of time in projects with multiple files. If you want to do a clean build (I.e. force all the files to be built fresh) then turn off quick build,mother wise leave it on and save the time.

Kryzon(Posted 2011) [#10]
This can be seen in the IDE.
Go to Home (little house icon on the toolbar) -> Users Guide -> MaxIDE -> scroll down to read the descriptions.

Czar Flavius(Posted 2011) [#11]
The multithreaded garbage collector is a bit more flakey than the standard gc so save the headaches unless you have to use threading
What is wrong with the threaded gc? Could you be more specific? I know that it is a bit slower.

Last edited 2011

xlsior(Posted 2011) [#12]
(Posted 11 hours ago) #6
Is "release mode" the same as "Build GUI App" vs Quick Build or other Build Options under the Program menu?

the 'build gui app' just means that you DON'T want it to open a (seperate) DOS window when you launch the application. Unless you are creating a text-mode command-line application, you will want to have that option checked.

ima747(Posted 2011) [#13]
Re czar. It's hard to pin down exactly, hence my vague reference... It has proven a little less stable in some circumstances, a little slower sometimes, has very obscure and hard to reproduce bugs (that's par for the course with threading...) some mods get unstable or have odd glitches with it etc. it's just better to avoid it when you can. Most of the time it won't make a difference but if it does it will drive you nuts and there may be no real solution etc.

John G(Posted 2011) [#14]
Thanks for the discussion guys. Did read the MaxIDE descriptions just yesterday. Fog lifting somewhat. Should be using Quick Build more often.

Kryzon(Posted 2011) [#15]
Since it doesn't affect the output, I always leave Quick Build on.

Czar Flavius(Posted 2011) [#16]
There has been one occasion in my history of Blitzing where I was getting strange build errors and had to do a non-quick build from scratch. Apart from that I've never had any problems with it and always use it.

Twinprogrammer(Posted 2011) [#17]
Thanks guys that's very helpful!

twinprogrammer

ima747(Posted 2011) [#18]
I've needed to toggle quick build to correct issues related to rebuilt modules from time to time in multi file projects... pretty rare though. It's on unless I want to be triple sure there's no chance for an old file compile to sneak in...