Simple 3d engin

BlitzMax Forums/BlitzMax Beginners Area/Simple 3d engin

Ian Lett(Posted 2011) [#1]
Hi all,

myself and a couple of mates are building a spacetrade game in blitzmax,and some one had the bright idea of adding a 3d space combat subgame (like elete) good idea well all said then i tryed to use b3dsdk and found it would need a full rewirte to do the deed ,so i am asking does anyone know of a simple and easy to use 3d engin sutable for space combat type games, someone sugested leadworks buts its a bit overkill for the task, any sugestions welcome.

H&K(Posted 2011) [#2]
b3bsdk, just add quads

GfK(Posted 2011) [#3]
MiniB3D. It doesn't get any simpler.

ima747(Posted 2011) [#4]
Gimbal lock is the issue you're likely to be shying away from in b3dsdk. Minib3d (being based on b3d's architecture) is susceptible too.

There is a modified version of minib3d that implements Quaternions to solve the problem. I personally have not played with it much, but other report success.

Many "simple" engines don't implement a quaternion based system because they themselves are relatively simple...

It's an issue that can be worked around in a number of ways depending on what you want to get out of it. I've run into it before a number of times but have been able to work my way through the problem in one way or another.

Ian Lett(Posted 2011) [#5]
Thanks guys, having talke it through with the team we will start a recode useing b3dsdk, it was not as daunting as first thought, but we could do with some more help, can someone sugest a good b3dsdk tutorial, or even some conversion docs\tools form max, i am looking at a simple search and replace but it needs more that that, so any beginers tutorials ect will be most welcome

anyhoo thanks agian guys. as ever most useful!

ima747(Posted 2011) [#6]
You could just use MiniB3D since it's just a b3d module for max... it's also cross platform if that's a factor for you...