Collision detection - crosshair meets target image

BlitzMax Forums/BlitzMax Beginners Area/Collision detection - crosshair meets target image

Zalokin(Posted 2011) [#1]
Hello!

I am in the process of making my first game.

It's basically a target shooter whereby there are a number of bubble sprites moving around in random directions, and you have to aim shoot them using the mouse.
Once this happens they disappear.

I have been able to hide mouse pointer and in its place replaced the pointer with a crosshair.

I know more or less how basic collision detection works.. for eg - imagescollide. I have read on this, and this would be no problem for me.

However, I am aware that when image meets another, the collision would occur.
But in my game I just want only the centre of the crosshair to result in a collision when it meets the bubble image.

Therefore I am a bit perplexed in how I can disregard the collision detection of the outside of the crosshair image.

Thanks.

Nik

GfK(Posted 2011) [#2]
Dead easy. Use your normal crosshair image when drawing.

Use this code to create a proxy image to use for collisions.

Method makeMouseCollider:tImage()
		Local px:TPixmap = CreatePixmap(2, 2, PF_BGRA8888)
		px.ClearPixels($FFFFFFFF)
		Return LoadImage(px)
	End Method	

Czar Flavius(Posted 2011) [#3]
Good idea, but why make it a method? You can make it a function with a global so it only creates it the first call and then returns the same iamge.

GfK(Posted 2011) [#4]
Good idea, but why make it a method
Because its part of my mousepointer class which is where the resulting image resides, as well as doing lots of other wonderful mouse-related things.

Picky picky picky. :/

Czar Flavius(Posted 2011) [#5]
You could still make it a function within that type but oh well.