BlitzMax 3D

BlitzMax Forums/BlitzMax Beginners Area/BlitzMax 3D

InvincibleWall(Posted 2011) [#1]
Heya People I have been programming in BlitzPlus for awhile and I am starting to reach the limits of the blitzplus 2D (transparency being my latest annoyance) and I was thinking of upgrading...... I was thinking of getting B3D but then I was told that Bmax was better... Is it just better at 2D? Or can it do better with 3D as well?

Or can it do 3D (by itself) at all?

JazzieB(Posted 2011) [#2]
There is very limited OpenGL support built into BlitzMax. However, there are plenty of third party 3D engines/modules that can be used. There is a list of them all here.

Hotshot2005(Posted 2011) [#3]
The best 3D for BlitzMax so far is N3xt-D wrapper for BlitzMax

check this out
http://www.n3xt-d.org/crbst_1.html

AdamRedwoods(Posted 2011) [#4]
BlitzMax has access to quite a few of the OpenGL commands, and is easily extended. The official docs say 1.1, but if you dig around GLEW is included so support is actually up to OpenGL 3.0 i believe.

MiniB3D is a nice, FREE 3D extension to Blitzmax, and is surprisingly easy to use. The base version is robust enough, and I'm using it without finding many limitations, except the big ones being shadows, programmable bones, and built-in shader programs. That said, there's enough shader code out there to plug it right into miniB3D, and I think miniB3Dextended has shadow support.

As far as other 3D engines, not all are cross-platform like BlitzMax, so be aware if you are looking for cross-platform.

The commercial engines Leadwerks and Xors seem to be fairly mature for BlitzMax and most active (in my opinion). There are others.

Kryzon(Posted 2011) [#5]
I agree, Leadwerks and Xors3D must be the most reliable ones so far (probably because they're commercial).

If not commercial, I think the other most complete ones would be the Irrlicht wrapper by GMan and MiniB3D by SimonH (and other blitzers).
Between these two you'd have an easier start with MiniB3D (being BRL.mod friendly, it indirectly comes with Joystick, audio and network support, and is compatible with Max2D).

Hezkore(Posted 2011) [#6]
I use both Xors3D and Leadwerks and they're great.
Xors3D is about to switch physics engine, new revision out in a few days.
And that's what I'm making my racing game in.

MadJack(Posted 2011) [#7]
The best 3D for BlitzMax so far is N3xt-D wrapper for BlitzMax
Really?

Xors3D is about to switch physics engine, new revision out in a few days.
Bullet Physics which although currently available in Xors was missing a few essential abilities. Hopefully Squid and the team can sort it in the next update - there's a few devs (including myself) waiting on it. In the meantime I've been using an old PhysX wrapper.

Hezkore(Posted 2011) [#8]
Yeah I've seen you around the Xors3D forum MadJack. :)