bb and bmx files

BlitzMax Forums/BlitzMax Beginners Area/bb and bmx files

DJBigz(Posted 2010) [#1]
so i just started messing around with this whole coding thing seeing what i could make and all. i did assari's "Learning 2D Game Programming With BlitzMax" tutorial and that was awesome i learned a lot from it. so i started going to the code archives and looking up other tutorials on youtube and what not, and a lot of the tutorials/programs are written a bit differently and won't compile. like amcadam26's blitz basic programing for beginners. I know there are some people who would say "why not just translate it. it will be good practice" but I just started a week ago and sometimes i get all cross eyed just looking at code.

i realized it said blitz basic on it so i kinda connected that to .bb files. I've tried searching a few times on the forums and didn't really find anything. also tried using google and everything just lead to the blitz basic home page.

i also realized that maxide has an "Import BB Project", but that kinda doesn't help me if i'm trying to type out a lesson. since from my knowledge maxide only saves in .bmx.

sorry if this sounds extremely noobish but i am at a total loss.
thank you for your time

Last edited 2010

Yan(Posted 2010) [#2]
Was there a question in there somewhere?

AltanilConard(Posted 2010) [#3]
The .bb file type is used by BlitzPlus and Blitz3D (see the products page), indeed the code won't compile in BlitzMax. It's syntax is very similar to BlitzMax' and you can still learn a lot from it though. Still, there are enough BlitzMax tutorials and examples out there to keep you going.

DJBigz(Posted 2010) [#4]
sorry i usually tend to do a statement that beats around the bush instead of an actual question. bit of a curse heh

*conard* ya i guess that would be the answer to my problems. i wanted to follow along with amcadam26 cos hes got a building a platformer style game from the bottom up tutorial, but then again i just started to poke around for tutorials so i might find one for .bmx.

AltanilConard(Posted 2010) [#5]
It's good go trough one of the tutorials that get you a basic game. More important is to improve on that base yourself, just try things out, implement more features, etc. that way you will really learn the language. What I found most helpful is the beginners guide to BMax. Once you're past that, you can try to write something yourself... Pong is definitely the way to go :)