'Flip' Memory Usage

BlitzMax Forums/BlitzMax Beginners Area/'Flip' Memory Usage

DinoEntrails(Posted 2010) [#1]
I have been messing around with some of my games and have found something a little weird. In one old, graphics-heavy game, I get around 120-125 frames per second, but in another game I just started that has very few graphics, I get around 50 fps. I tried eliminating different functions and eventually found that the without the 'Flip' command, my frame rate is around 300, but when I add it, it drops to 50. Why would one game run so fast while the other is slow when they are roughly the same? Even if I eliminate all code and just have 'flip', the game runs at 50fps, when the aforementioned game drawing all its graphics runs twice as fast.

GfK(Posted 2010) [#2]
Your system is probably running at 50Hz and Flip will use that unless you tell it otherwise (so no matter what you're drawing you will never ever get it to go quicker than 50fps).

Try using Flip False - it will probably go a lot faster as vsync goes out the window. Watch out for tearing though.

DinoEntrails(Posted 2010) [#3]
My other game is running at 120 FPS right now though...

GfK(Posted 2010) [#4]
The default behaviour of Flip changed at some point in one of the Blitzmax updates.

ImaginaryHuman(Posted 2010) [#5]
Did you open the screen using a different screen mode /hz rate?

Czar Flavius(Posted 2010) [#6]
Memory usage?

xlsior(Posted 2010) [#7]
Windowed, or full screen mode?

DinoEntrails(Posted 2010) [#8]
Windowed...same hz rate...