Scroll and rotation

BlitzMax Forums/BlitzMax Beginners Area/Scroll and rotation

OscarBraindeaD(Posted 2010) [#1]
Hi all.
I'm thinking about how I can achieve this effect, seen in super drift out (snes) and seek and destroy (amiga, pc). In it the player can move in a scenery and, when the player turns, is the background which really turns. Anybody knows how can I obtain this effect? (I get it using miniB3D, but I want do it in pure 2d, if I can).
I leave two videos with the effect itself.
Thanks in advance.

Super driftout:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=raPi_y757GA&feature=related

Seek and destroy:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m4Na0aT6K2Y

Best regards

Oddball(Posted 2010) [#2]
My Odd2D module does this. You can find the download in my sig, and the discussion thread here.

OscarBraindeaD(Posted 2010) [#3]
Hi Oddball,

I'll try your mod, I'm using a Mac, but I think your mod works in it, since it includes the source. I'll comment you the results.
Thanks!

Best regards

John G(Posted 2010) [#4]
I highly recommend Oddball's very professional module. I used OpenGL to do this in the past with a different Basic. OGL is great but tedious. BlitzMax+Odd2D brings most of this power with half the work. Works fine on old iMac G5. Cheers

Oddball(Posted 2010) [#5]
It's written and tested on my Intel iMac. I've used it in two of my games, !i (Not I) and Soze, one of which features full screen rotation and both of which run fine on Mac and Windows. I'm also working with it for my latest project so it's been fairly well tested too.

Last edited 2010

ImaginaryHuman(Posted 2010) [#6]
It's not hard, SetRotation().

Oddball(Posted 2010) [#7]
I don't think you've quite understood the original post ImaginaryHuman. He was asking how to do fullscreen rotation, which is a little more complex than just using SetRotation.

ImaginaryHuman(Posted 2010) [#8]
I understand. It's just that you can either change the projection matrix or you can simply do SetRotation with each tile having a unique handle so that it all rotates around a center. You just have to update the handles each frame to rotate around the new center. In code you'd just navigate the map as if there is no rotation, but display it rotated.

OscarBraindeaD(Posted 2010) [#9]
Hi all,
Of course, ImaginaryHuman, I know this method but I'm not only looking for screen rotation (I can do it with a huge image), I'm looking for the scroll with rotation effect (setting the image center where the player is, keep track where the objects are, and so). It's a good idea, work with it as no rotated map and rotate it just when it is displayed... Hmmmm.. It likes me.

Best regards

Last edited 2010

SoggyP(Posted 2010) [#10]
Hello.

In work right now, but will post some code later.

Goodbye.

ImaginaryHuman(Posted 2010) [#11]
Yeah the player simply moves through an unrotated world like for a normal tilemap scroller. It's simply that you're choosing to lock the rotation to the player's car or whatever rather than locking the rotation to the screen alignment. so then you just need to display the world rotated but the car still moves through an ordinary world.