Blitzmax

BlitzMax Forums/BlitzMax Beginners Area/Blitzmax

jankupila(Posted 2010) [#1]
I have learned Tlist, types and OOP. What should I learn next? Is there tutorials about that?

GaryV(Posted 2010) [#2]
Have you tried working through some of these tutorials?

http://www.blitzbasic.com/Community/topics.php?forum=112

GaryV(Posted 2010) [#3]
These in particular are very comprehensive:

Beginners guide to BlitzMax
The MaxGUI Beginner Tutorial Series

Last edited 2010

jankupila(Posted 2010) [#4]
I think I try to learn Maxgui next. It may take some time...
I have read almost every beginners guide what I have found from forums.

Last edited 2010

GfK(Posted 2010) [#5]
I think I try to learn Maxgui next.
I've just started using MaxGUI myself recently and have to say it is agony to use. No form editor whatsoever, so designing anything with it is a complete pig from the start. Its still missing basic functionality *mumbles something about multi column listboxes*, there is no way of detecting the ENTER key being pressed in a text field, and the command naming conventions.... well.... there isn't any. It is a daily struggle to remember what is the correct function name because you can't simply apply a logical guess like you can with the other Blitzmax modules. This is not helped by everything being lumped together in a TGadget object, rather than, more sensibly, a dedicated tGadgetButton, tGadgetListview, tGadgetWindow.... well you get the idea.

Don't get me wrong, it does work. Its just that because of all the issues, progress is painfully slow and frustrating, and I seem to spend more time trawling the MaxGUI forum for answers, than I do actually writing any code.

Unless sadomasochism is your cup of tea, I'd probably look elsewhere for a GUI solution.

[edit] I'm not having a go at Blitzmax here, cos I love it and its awesome to use.... if you've ever seen the movie Twins, then MaxGUI is BlitzMax's Danny DeVito.

Last edited 2010

H&K(Posted 2010) [#6]
MaxGUI is BlitzMax's Danny DeVito
You mean the fully rounded real person? As opposed to the one incapable of real world interactions?

Last edited 2010

GfK(Posted 2010) [#7]
You mean the fully rounded real person? As opposed to the one incapable of real world interactions?
No.

jankupila(Posted 2010) [#8]
I need an idea what to do with Maxgui for practising..?

Czar Flavius(Posted 2010) [#9]
A Tea Shop game?

It sounds like you've got the foundations of Blitzmax, that's really good. The best thing to do now is to stop reading tutorials and start making games! :D That's when the learning really begins.

shinkiro1(Posted 2010) [#10]
Right, start making some kind of 'test-game' (stay simple like a space shooter).
On the way you will learn a lot of new things ... oh, and have fun ;D

jankupila(Posted 2010) [#11]
I think I try to do a space shooter.. for practising.

Does someone know good game picture library whereform I can get images for the project?

Last edited 2010

Hotshot2005(Posted 2010) [#12]
You can used Sprite for making own game

http://www.flyingyogi.com/fun/spritelib.html

have fun :)

jankupila(Posted 2010) [#13]
Thanks for the link. They were just what I was looking for.

GaryV(Posted 2010) [#14]
Unless sadomasochism is your cup of tea, I'd probably look elsewhere for a GUI solution.
For Windows, you do not need to use MaxGUI. You can simply write Windows applications SDK-style and access the necessary APIs directly.

Brucey's wxWidgets port for BlitzMax is a very nice solution and has the benefit of being cross-platform.

Dabhand(Posted 2010) [#15]

Does someone know good game picture library whereform I can get images for the project?

http://www.google.co.uk/images?hl=en&source=imghp&biw=1920&bih=965&q=spritesheet&gbv=2&aq=f&aqi=g1&aql=&oq=&gs_rfai=

A lot of them will be copyrighted, but since your just playing, there'll be no harm done really by using them!

Dabz

jankupila(Posted 2010) [#16]
GaryV, tell me more about it!

GaryV(Posted 2010) [#17]
wxWidgets is an alternative cross-platform GUI system. Brucey ported it to BlitzMax and his mod is called wxMax. It has a lot more functionality than MaxGUI does and it works on Linux and OS X.

http://www.blitzbasic.com/Community/posts.php?topic=75516
http://code.google.com/p/wxmax/

I am not sure how beginner-friendly it is. I was mainly suggesting it as an option for GfK who seems to have hit a snag or two with MaxGUI. :)

Last edited 2010

skidracer(Posted 2010) [#18]
Unless you have used wxWidgets I think it is a little disingenuous to be recomending it.

've just started using MaxGUI myself recently and have to say it is agony to use. No form editor whatsoever, so designing anything with it is a complete pig from the start. Its still missing basic functionality *mumbles something about multi column listboxes*, there is no way of detecting the ENTER key being pressed in a text field, and the command naming conventions.... well.... there isn't any. It is a daily struggle to remember what is the correct function name because you can't simply apply a logical guess like you can with the other Blitzmax modules. This is not helped by everything being lumped together in a TGadget object, rather than, more sensibly, a dedicated tGadgetButton, tGadgetListview, tGadgetWindow.... well you get the idea.

There is a form editor available for MaxGUI.

The ENTER key behavior is a fact of life when programming within Windows recommended guidelines, the ENTER key must be linked to the OK / or default button on any window form.

The other criticisms of MaxGUI are only valid if you consider good GUI design and implementation a simple task that requires neither patience or hard work.

GfK(Posted 2010) [#19]
There is a form editor available for MaxGUI.
There is?! since when?? Where????!

[edit]
The other criticisms of MaxGUI are only valid if you consider good GUI design and implementation a simple task that requires neither patience or hard work.
Well, the problem I'm currently having (sans-editor) is that its getting right on my nerves adding new gadgets and having to relentlessly jiggle things a few pixels this way or that, recompile, more jiggling, recompile etc etc. I've had over ten years with Blitz on PCs in its various incarnations so I don't consider myself to be lacking patience and I'd also contest the point that building a decent GUI has to be "hard work". It really needn't be with a decent form editor!

[edit again]
I briefly looked at wxMax in the past. No doubt its powerful but personally, I couldn't make head nor tail of it.

Last edited 2010

shinkiro1(Posted 2010) [#20]
There is?! since when?? Where????!

LogicGui from jsp, but i think you know that already?

I also made a form Editor a while ago.
Although I have built it for linux because there was non available, for windows I think LogicGui is better suited.

If you want, you can download my FormEditor here:
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/2892658/dev/simple_construct_alpha.zip
Included is the source, you just have to compile the main.bmx file.
However, when i tried to compile on windows I had no luck, it gave me some strange error (something type related).

skidracer(Posted 2010) [#21]
LogixGUI can be found here, http://jsp.logiczone.de/

I haven't had any experience with it but I assume it does what it says on the box.

Czar Flavius(Posted 2010) [#22]
I agree with GfK. I've since abandoned my gui project, and if I resume it I'm sorely tempted to use Visual Basic.

Last edited 2010

GaryV(Posted 2010) [#23]
Unless you have used wxWidgets I think it is a little disingenuous to be recomending it.
I Have used wxMax, but did not fully "grasp" things until I bought the book on wxWidgets. I mainly use MaxGUI and I am quite happy with it. It does what I need.

wxMax is not beginner friendly, but, like I said, is an option for GfK if MaxGUI is not meeting his needs and GfK is definitely not a beginner.

GfK(Posted 2010) [#24]
Skid - thanks for the link to LogicGUI - just bought it. Its certainly going to take a lot of the pain out of my day.

Maybe there should be a sticky entitled "Looking for a form editor?" in the MaxGUI forums as it does the job really well and completely transforms the usability of MaxGUI.

but, like I said, is an option for GfK if MaxGUI is not meeting his needs and GfK is definitely not a beginner.
I'm very much a beginner when it comes to GUI stuff.

Last edited 2010

therevills(Posted 2010) [#25]
Check out the toolbox Dave:

http://www.blitzbasic.com/toolbox/toolbox.php?cat=13

GaryV(Posted 2010) [#26]
Maybe there should be a sticky entitled "Looking for a form editor?"
At least the author listed it in the toolbox under "Form Designers". This is more than many seem to do.

Last edited 2010

GfK(Posted 2010) [#27]
Ah. Reason I didn't find that is because its listed as "Form Designers for BlitzPlus".

GaryV(Posted 2010) [#28]
That would be the fault of BRL ;)

GfK(Posted 2010) [#29]
That would be the fault of BRL ;)
I'm not going to knock BRL for anything. Blitzmax has given me a mini-breakthrough to what I've been working at for nearly 20 years now. Don't bite the hand that feeds etc.

jankupila(Posted 2010) [#30]
I think that if you want to earn money about your coding, you should not make a game. That's because there is tens of thousands coders who try to introduce their games. If you want to make money you should do something what coder's or other people want's, editors, modules etc. That's why I give up my game coding and start to learn MaxGui by heart.

GfK(Posted 2010) [#31]
[edit] Never mind. Suffice to say, you're talking nonsense.

Last edited 2010

jankupila(Posted 2010) [#32]
Well, this or that, learning new things is not bad thing.

Last edited 2010

Czar Flavius(Posted 2010) [#33]
No offence to MaxGui, but I think you'd make less money making serious-business gui apps using MaxGui than you'd make with serious games with BlitzMax. If you want to make gui apps for business, try Visual Basic or C#. Not that those languages are inherently better than Blitz, but there is more commercial demand for them. Or try PHP or ASP.net.

Of course, I'd prefer to take my chances making games with Blitz :)

jankupila(Posted 2010) [#34]
:)

jankupila(Posted 2010) [#35]
Now I have read Assari's maxgui guide. Everything seems to be logical and not hard to get. I don't say that now I know everything about maxgui but now I am ready to make applications of my own and practice. The guide will be open below Blitzmax's coding area.