re - TV3D Memory Leak Problems

BlitzMax Forums/BlitzMax Beginners Area/re - TV3D Memory Leak Problems

kenshin(Posted 2010) [#1]
Apologies, couldn't post in the other thread. Kept getting:
ERROR:Internal error

@Gfk: When the website was going you could download the lite version. Now, Gabriel kindly sends out the latest version to email.

@Gabriel: electronicfiles.net lost my tutorial set again too. I'll have to torrent them as it's a pita re-uploading them all the time.

I didn't ask about the bug on the TV3D forums. I think someone will pull a lmgtfy on me because of this thread:

http://www.truevision3d.com/forums/news_and_announcements/new_release_october_31st_2009-t19656.0.html

on post 3 Slyvain writes:

Fixes :
- The setup correctly installs D3DCompiler dll now.
- Better handling on missing compiler dlls in the engine when compiling shaders (written in debug file)
- Fixed a memory leak ( 2 DX objects not released )
- Fixed a problem with minimesh culling mode
- Fixed TIME semantic so that it is constant in the same frame.
- License sign machine dll is now the good one !

So, I downloaded the latest SDK from TV3D website and find that the tv3d65.dll contained in the sdk is different to the one in the latest version of the wrapper. The timestamp on the wrapper dll says 14/8/2009, where the one in the SDK has 11/11/2009. They are also different filesizes and CRC's. I think that the wrapper is using an older version of tv3d65.dll that still has these bugs present. I'm certain that I'm using the latest version of the wrapper you have given out as I keep all of them neatly organised.

Any chance of getting a wrap based on this latest dll revision? Looks like they fixed a lot of problems if you read that entire thread.

Last edited Wednesday 6th of October 2010 03:37:41 PM GMT

Last edited Wednesday 6th of October 2010 03:38:26 PM GMT

Last edited Wednesday 6th of October 2010 03:38:46 PM GMT

kenshin(Posted 2010) [#2]
I really got to stop editing.:(

GaryV(Posted 2010) [#3]
I really got to stop editing.:(
The forum is spamming itself ;)

Dabhand(Posted 2010) [#4]

The forum is spamming itself ;)

"it's logic is undeniable"

Tin hats people!!! :D

Dabz

Gabriel(Posted 2010) [#5]
I'll check, but the one I sent out to GFK last night was dated February 2010. I noticed especially. That's the date I made the wrapper, not the date TV3D made their lib. However, if I intentionally wrapped an older version in Feb 2010, it would only be because TV3D had much bigger problems in the current release than the one before. I'll check. If the version I sent out last night does indeed use a newer version of the TV3D lib, I'll email you with the updated one. If it doesn't, I'm going to have to start digging through old files to find out why. I don't particularly want to spend a day or two updating the wrapper only to give you a version that I'm almost certain is horribly broken in some other way.

I should also point out that this particular bug is only an issue if you repeatedly open and close the TV3D lib in the same program. If, as you normally would, you only open it once at the beginning and release it at the end, it's completely harmless as the memory is returned to Windows when your game shuts down anyway.

Gabriel(Posted 2010) [#6]
Doesn't look like you're using the latest. The timestamp in the current one I have is 12/11/2009.

GFK kindly hosted offered to host it for me, so you can get it (with thanks to him) from here:

http://www.desktopgaming.net/tv3d/pro.zip

kenshin(Posted 2010) [#7]
Thx for the help Gabriel, and thanks for hosting it GFK.

This new version closes fine without the leak and the tv3d65.dll matches the one in the latest sdk. I must have missed getting this latest one.

Thx again. Back to work for me now...and no more edits!