Unable to create temporary directory

BlitzMax Forums/BlitzMax Beginners Area/Unable to create temporary directory

Radical(Posted 2010) [#1]
Hello, I am just beginning my venture into the world programming. I've had this book called "Game Programming for Teens: Third Edition" for a while and figured I might as well not waste any more time and just give it a go. The book comes with a disk that contains a demo for BlitzMax(as well as a bunch of other stuff). The demo was expired the first time I attempted to use it though, which seemed odd to me. Well, I just went ahead and actually dumped some money into getting the full program to cement my commitment.

I am getting started with the book and I've hit my first snag. I took the first game demo called Kong, and transfered it from the demo program onto the full version of BlitzMax. As soon as I try to build and run it though, the output says that it was unable to create a temporary directory.

I didn't want to just run to this site and expect someone to just throw out answers so early, but I've spent hours now combing through the program tutorials, google search, etc. and have nothing. Anyone know what might be the problem? I'm feeling like a dolt at the moment. I've never done anything more advanced than basic HTML and not even past the first chapter and I've hit a road block.

DinoEntrails(Posted 2010) [#2]
Hmmmm.... I am pretty much you in a couple of months :-) I read the same book, only first edition, and since have programmed 4 games and have even learned a bit of C++. I still do not know too much about programming, but the first question that comes to mind here is whether or not you have saved the blitzmax file after transferring it from the demo program to the full.

Amon(Posted 2010) [#3]
What OS are you using?

If you are using win7 and have installed blitzmax in to "Program Files" it will more or less be this that is causing the problem.

Win7 is very funny about apps like Max installed in "Program Files". If you have installed to there, uninstall and install Mac in a different folder i.e. C:\Coding\BlitzMax\

Also if using Win7 do you have User Account Control activated and to what level?

If you have UAC enabled make sure you run BlitzMax as Administrator by right clicking the Max icon and clicking "Run As Administrator".

Radical(Posted 2010) [#4]
Dino,

I completely uninstalled the demo program before I downloaded the program off the BlitzMax website. Any BlitzMax related stuff I get from the Game Programming Book I simply take from the CD and tell it to run through the full version of Blitz Max.

Amon,

Windows Vista: Home Premium Edition

Thanks for the responses.

Floyd(Posted 2010) [#5]
Are the files copied from the CD marked "read only" on your hard drive?

With XP you can check this by right-clicking and selecting Properties. You can view and change the read-only attribute. Maybe you are trying to create a file in a read-only folder. I've been tripped up by this with files that I restore from old back-up copies.

You typically see this with files you have manually copied from read-only media. Normally a commercial disk has an installer which copies the files and clears the read-only attribute for you.

Ghost Dancer(Posted 2010) [#6]
What Amon said about User Account Control also applies to Vista, which could be the cause of your problem.

abelian_grape(Posted 2010) [#7]
I'll add my two cents here. Since I started out with the exact same book as you, and am now programming games and content tools for those games with only several months experience, my best advice is to not attempt to run the majority of the code that Sethi has in that book. It is downright awful. He didn't edit any of it, and if he did, he edited it by simply reading it over and not actually running his source code. The majority of the little programs run without a hitch, but once he attempts the larger portions of code things go awry quickly. You could spend hours trying to debug his cursory code, but you won't learn anything from it at this stage. You need to actually learn the language by seeing it in action, not having it blow up in your face with cryptic error messages. After that happening to me 3 or 4 times with that book, I gave up and read the book front to back without typing a single thing into the computer. I used it for the main ideas so that I could then sit down and implement those ideas myself. That is where the true learning happens. Once you're comfortable with the language, then you can deal with the error messages, or have one of us help you out.

abelian_grape

Jaydubeww(Posted 2010) [#8]
If you're completely new to programming, then I would do as others suggested; read that book from front to cover just to learn programming concepts and ideas. I only started BlitzMax just a few months ago too (although with programming experience, but not much), but I started learning it from these two places:

http://www.truplo.com/blitzmaxbeginnersguide/wave1.html
http://www.2dgamecreators.com/tutorials/gameprogramming/

Good luck! and most importantly, have fun! ;)

lesslucid(Posted 2010) [#9]
If you copy-paste the code here, someone here might be able to figure out what's wrong with it.