Creating graphics reminiscent of the NES

BlitzMax Forums/BlitzMax Beginners Area/Creating graphics reminiscent of the NES

abelian_grape(Posted 2010) [#1]
I was curious...does anyone know of a good method of producing graphics that look like NES graphics? My aim is to create games that look like they were made for the NES, so naturally I will want to make sprites with a limited palette like the NES. I did some research, and the NES has a resolution of 256x240 pixels, and has sprites either 8x8 or 8x16 pixels each. These are pretty small, so something like say the mushroom from Super Mario Bros. would require four 8x8 "tiles" to create the whole image. I'm not really concerned with breaking my game down THAT far...I would much rather just have the entire image together since I'm not really concerned about space.

However, I would like to be restricted to the NES palette, and I was wondering if there was software out there that allowed you to create pixellated sprites a-la-NES with only the allowed colors of the NES (I think about 410 colors can be achieved using some clever scanline tricks). Now, if I had TONS of free time on my hands I would just learn 6502 programming and make my own NES ROMs so I would be guaranteed that NES look and feel. BlitzMax is way easier to code in so I would like to use the simplicity of OOP with the look and sound of an NES game.

Thanks!

abelian_grape

ImaginaryHuman(Posted 2010) [#2]
Well you can just use truecolor as normal (ie 24-bit but only use the colors you want).

For the resolution you might want to try Mark's virtual resolution thingy which lets you scale the graphics/projection matrix.

abelian_grape(Posted 2010) [#3]
Well you can just use truecolor as normal (ie 24-bit but only use the colors you want).

I had thought of that, and then just using MS Paint or something to create the graphics (because I have no other programs I could create them in). However, MS Paint is extremely limited in terms of how many custom colors you can have (less than a Nintendo, in fact), plus I haven't been able to find the RGB codes for the NES palette anywhere. :(

Thank you for the quick response!

abelian_grape

Oddball(Posted 2010) [#4]
NES restrictions:

Courtesy of pixelation.

Alternatively you could always use something like the FamiEngine.

Shortwind(Posted 2010) [#5]
There are variations on the actual colors, and the way some people count the colors but here are some links that should give you what your looking for.

NES Colors

More NES Color

Remember sir, google is your friend.

Here is a link to a file for use in creating a color palette in Gimp or Photoshop.

Color Palette File

abelian_grape(Posted 2010) [#6]
Thanks for the links everybody :) I had come across the few that Shortwind posted, but I was unaware of the FamiEngine. I might have to brush up on my C++ and implement that into a future game. Lots of fun stuff to play around with!

I thought more about ImaginaryHuman's suggestion about "Mark's virtual resolution thingy" and thought that scaling would probably be a huge help. 256x240 is a pretty small workspace for a game, so it will certainly be useful to be able to scale everything up to fit, say, your average computer screen. Do you have a link available for that?

abelian_grape

Oddball(Posted 2010) [#7]
It's already part of Max2D.
SetVirtualResolution 256,224

AvestheFox(Posted 2010) [#8]
From the image chart in Oddball's post I took the liberty of translating all those colors into data, if anyone is interested :)

Would be greast for creating your own image editor with it:

I may be doing one with Blitz3D as well

I plan to use it for creating some media-less games :)

I'll also be looking for the palettes of the Gameboy Color, the Gameboy Advance, the Game Gear, SNES, Sega Genesis and other systems... if anybody cares to help out in the project, let me know!

abelian_grape(Posted 2010) [#9]
Very cool, thanks Aves :)

AvestheFox(Posted 2010) [#10]
your welcome! let me know if it comes in handy :)