N00B Question About Airplanes and Rockets

BlitzMax Forums/BlitzMax Beginners Area/N00B Question About Airplanes and Rockets

DinoEntrails(Posted 2010) [#1]
I am working on a little airplane game where you can fly around and dogfight and whatever you feel like doing, but I can not think of an easy way to solve a very simple problem. I have automidhandle on, because it needs to be on for the rotation to look realistic, but when I started adding bullets and collisions, the bullets hit the plane that shot them instantly because they 'spawn' in the middle of the plane. Normally, I could just have them start a couple pixels in one direction, but the problem is that the plane will be at all kinds of different rotations, so no one number will do the trick. The only solution I can think of would be to make a big long block of code that would supply numbers to add to the x and y coords based on the rotation, but it just feels like there should be an easier way.

Jesse(Posted 2010) [#2]
bulletx and bullety is where the bullet is to be created.
local distFromPlane:float = 10 'adjust value for proper positioning
bulletx:float = positionOfPlaneX + cos(angleOfPlane)*distanceFromPlane
bullety:Float = positionOfplaneY + sin(angleOfPlane)*distanceFromPlane

that is considering your plane image was made facing right, if it was made point up then subtract 90 from angleOfPlane for the calculation.

DinoEntrails(Posted 2010) [#3]
That worked really well, except that somewhere around 270 degrees didn't work, but I will just keep tinkering. Thanks a ton!!!

Czar Flavius(Posted 2010) [#4]
You could add the shooting plane as a field for each bullet, so the bullet knows who fired it. Then you don't make a collision if the target is the shooting plane. This could also be useful for score purposes - which player killed which enemy?

Jesse(Posted 2010) [#5]
do the angle subtracting at the equation:
local distFromPlane:float = 10 'adjust value for proper positioning
bulletx:float = positionOfPlaneX + cos(angleOfPlane-90)*distanceFromPlane
bullety:Float = positionOfplaneY + sin(angleOfPlane-90)*distanceFromPlane

DinoEntrails(Posted 2010) [#6]
A combination of both of your suggestions has worked magic :-) Thanks a ton!

stanrol(Posted 2010) [#7]
good to see it resolved.

Nate the Great(Posted 2010) [#8]
good to know that no matter where you post on the blitz blog, stanrol is watching over you ;)