Linking to exe Failure

BlitzMax Forums/BlitzMax Beginners Area/Linking to exe Failure

Clyde(Posted 2010) [#1]
Dear BR and co.

Have installed the latest Blitz MAX to see if it cured a long time problem I have with trying to get programs to run.

I get this annoying error
Build Error: Failed to link C:/Documents and Settings/Username/My Documents/Blitz Arena/Blitzmax/Demos/program1.exe

all the time on all code I try to build and run.
Im running under Window$ XP 32-bit SP 3.
and there isnt that option to rebuild modules.

Dreamora(Posted 2010) [#2]
rebuilding modules would require mingw to be installed.
but that does not explain this error.

do you have any other error cause failed to link should normaly come in combination with another error that prevents a obj file from building or alike

Jesse(Posted 2010) [#3]
Try removing your current installation of blitzmax completely(delete the BlitzMax folder and don't forget to save a copy of any third party modules thats in your mods folder), re-install it and see if that works. Looks like maybe one of your modules is corrupt, That happened to me when I accidentally tried to create an executable out of one of the modules while looking at it. If you have any modules that need compiling, you are going to need to install MinGW. Make sure that any third party modules are the source code only before you put them in the mods folder so you won't run into that problem again, in which case you are going to need to install MinGW. If you have windows vista or 7, be sure to install Blitzmax in its default directory (c:\Blitzmax) that might also be the reason you are having these problems.

Clyde(Posted 2010) [#4]
I had this problem with an earlier version of BM, so I did a clean install, but it's come back again, plus Im not using any 3rd party things just the ones supplied.

I haven't used BM very much since it's release for this reason, and lack of informative manual.

Shall see how I get on this time round, thanks Dudes :)

skidracer(Posted 2010) [#5]
The problem could be the folder permissions of the directory you are saving your program in. Make sure it isn't set to READONLY or some such in the folder properties which happens if say you have copied your Demos backup from a CDROM.

Chugs40(Posted 2010) [#6]
Are you working from your 'my documents' folder? That might be the problem.
Did you modify the default install path for blitzmax - C:\Program Files\BlitzMax

Try working from the default path, maybe that will help. :)

Nate the Great(Posted 2010) [#7]
I got this error too with the new version of bmax..