Blitzmax games in an internet browser

BlitzMax Forums/BlitzMax Beginners Area/Blitzmax games in an internet browser

DinoEntrails(Posted 2010) [#1]
I am a blitzmax and programming newbie, so I read a couple books, and I am fairly acquainted with programming, and I am making a simple text based RPG, and I was wondering if I can post this online so that it can be played in a browser. If so, how would this affect GNet functions.

Also, can someone give me a link to a descent guide to the debug capabilities of Blitzmax. I imagine it must be very helpful...but I am a bit lost.

Dreamora(Posted 2010) [#2]
There is not much to learn about the debug capabilities of blitzmax. you put in the stop (programmatic breakpoint) and step through from there.
Thats close to it, the rest will be self explaining in the ide.

You can post online what you want, though you can not build any browser applications with BM, it only builds Windows, Linux, OSX on the corresponding platforms

DinoEntrails(Posted 2010) [#3]
I was also wondering if arrays can be an object in multiplayer games, so can I have a shared array that will keep track of messages and what not between players?

That is the only way I can think to keep a running record of "messages" that will be on each players' screen that tell about who hit who and for how much. If there is another, easier way, let me know.

DinoEntrails(Posted 2010) [#4]
One more thing: Has anyone else noticed a really long time between exiting a game and the rest of the online players receiving the "closed object"? I press escape and exit the while loop, which ends the program, but does not formally close the object, because when I tried to close it, it said it was already null. Then, up to 30 seconds later, the rest of the players will realize it is closed.

Czar Flavius(Posted 2010) [#5]
You need to divide your program into time steps (each run of the game's logic loop being a time step) and at the end of the time step, send your current data to the other players as well as your current time step number, and then wait for all replies before continuing to the next time step. This keeps all games in sync. It will freeze the game if one player is lagging but it's simple.

DinoEntrails(Posted 2010) [#6]
I am really sorry, but can you show me a really simple example?

Czar Flavius(Posted 2010) [#7]
When I have finished my own network code I will share it with you here.