Multiple frameworks?

BlitzMax Forums/BlitzMax Beginners Area/Multiple frameworks?

Whitness(Posted 2010) [#1]
I'm trying to do something that probably qualifies as poor programming practice, and hopefully someone here can help me out.

I have a 2D game. A lot of the details of the game are read in from XML. I am attempting to create a tool that will make editing the xml a much easier and user friendly experience. My initial plan was to read in the xml and store it as usual, and instead of running in graphics mode have a relatively simple wxWidgets UI, because I have experience with wx in other languages.
The problem I'm finding is that wxWidgets wants you to use it as a framework. But when I do, the program can no longer find types like TImage. If I don't use it as a framework and just import the wx types I need, all of the (mostly superfluous) graphics stuff works fine, but the program can't find wx functions like ConnectAny.
I have limited experience on the ins and outs of including and importing. And I had never heard of frameworks until I started attempting to use wx.

I hope this made some amount of sense. Is there a way to use multiple frameworks, so I can keep whatever the default is? Or is there a way for me to import everything from wx without using it as a framework?

Thanks for any help or suggestions

- Whitney

GfK(Posted 2010) [#2]
Use Import:
Framework whatever.mod
Import another.mod
Import yetanother.mod
Import andanother.mod

xlsior(Posted 2010) [#3]
Also: if you are using commands from a bunch of different modules but you're not quite sure where they are coming from, then you may want to look at Framework Assistant -- it's a free download (search the forum for a link)

Framework Assistant will analyze your program, and generate the list of framework and imports necessary to make it work. Not perfect, but it can save you a lot of time trying to hunt down all the modules you actually use.

EOF(Posted 2010) [#4]
you may want to look at Framework Assistant -- it's a free download
Thanks for the mention. Latest version v2.11 here:

http://sites.google.com/site/jimbrown007

Zeke(Posted 2010) [#5]
wow.. i was so close to ask you that if you have some update to FA... Thanks.. and oh.. 2.11 works fine with my a new project..... 2.09 gave wrong info.....
THANKS...
but this should be in Toolbox!!.. or even integrated to the maxide...

Jesse(Posted 2010) [#6]
when I try to use Framework Assist it locks up. My Game is made of 30 included files. after dragging the source of the main file in to the application, framework assist freezes and I have to force shut it down. I have let it run for an hour with no resolution. Sorry, I am not ready to release the source to try it out.

plash(Posted 2010) [#7]
Framework Assistant is good for beginners, though you should catch on before long - especially if you're writing modules yourself ;)

EOF(Posted 2010) [#8]
when I try to use Framework Assist it locks up. My Game is made of 30 included files. after dragging the source of the main file in to the application, framework assist freezes and I have to force shut it down
I found that problem too last night. I suspect FA is going around in circles somewhere even though I have checks in place to stop that sort of thing happenning. Investigation under way at the weekend

_Skully(Posted 2010) [#9]
Did you account for endless reference loops?

EOF(Posted 2010) [#10]
Endless references should be accounted for (i think!)

Try this version which should pretty much fly now:

http://www.filefront.com/16144191/fa212.zip

Jesse(Posted 2010) [#11]
yes, solved my problem.