Quick check (LoadAnimImage)

BlitzMax Forums/BlitzMax Beginners Area/Quick check (LoadAnimImage)

ElectricBoogaloo(Posted 2010) [#1]
How does LoadAnimImage load it's chunks?

If I try to LoadAnimImage an image bigger than the screen resolution, is that going to be safe on all systems, or am I going to have that "Big Image, Can't Load" issue?

Not that it's too big. It's only 1024x1024, but the resolution's smaller, so I thought it'd be best to check.

Jesse(Posted 2010) [#2]
it will load it all right. The problem is when it has to send it to the video memory that becomes a problem. Depending on the video card, It might not have a big enough video buffer to move it to. Most video cards will handle the 1024x1024 but there is no guarantee that all of them will. I believe it is safe to say that any video card that has at least 8 meg of ram can handle that size image.
Anybody with less memory than that is just trying to keep their old relic alive and I wouldn't worry too much about it.

Arowx(Posted 2010) [#3]
@Jesse - Hey nothing wrong with the old relic, it's just you young'un's with your fancy 16+ colour games and > 320x240 resolutions! ;0)

This is a link to a some nice code that allows you to split an image down and still handle it as one image...

http://www.blitzbasic.com/codearcs/codearcs.php?code=1440

There was some code that checked the dx capabilities of the gfx card around here somewhere..?!

Jesse(Posted 2010) [#4]
Yes, nothing wrong. I still play with a Commodore vic20 I bought at a yard a sale a few years back, brings back memories. ;)