For real? BMax upgrades

BlitzMax Forums/BlitzMax Beginners Area/For real? BMax upgrades

Pipes(Posted 2010) [#1]
You should fully uninstall any previous version of BlitzMax (including manually removing any 3rd party modules) before installing these versions: (quote from product upgrades)

For real? If I want to install a version upgrade to Blitz Max, I have to totally uninstall everything and remove all of the modules, install the new version then re-install/ re-build every module I was using before.

Is that correct? That seems to be a lot of trouble just to upgrade.

ImaginaryHuman(Posted 2010) [#2]
That's what it says. :-)

Brucey(Posted 2010) [#3]
Better to be safe than sorry...

I usually take the latest pub and brl folders from the update, backup the old ones, replace the old with new, and then replace the "bin" files with the new ones. And then rebuild everything. (but then I somewhat know what I'm doing)

In the olden times an installer used to backup/copy over an old install, but there were issues when an API or import changed which would break executables until all the modules were re-built.

Otus(Posted 2010) [#4]
You don't really have to, but if you don't then you cannot complain about breakage. Personally I don't even remove the previous version before testing that the new one works and that all modules build. And even then, why bother - I have at least five BlitzMax installations living happily side-by-side.

matibee(Posted 2010) [#5]
I just rename the current installation folder then let the installer install to the default folder. Any 3rd party mods can then just be copied over from old to new installations and if you want to go back to an older version (for bug checking, say) a bit of folder renaming gets you there.

jkrankie(Posted 2010) [#6]
Yeah, if you rename the install folder, you can have as many different versions as you like. i've got the last 8 versions on my desktop.

Cheers
Charlie

xlsior(Posted 2010) [#7]
Whether or not its necessary to remove the old one depends on the level of changes between the different versions -- if there are core changes to things like the garbage collector, then using modules compiled with the old version will blow up or exhibit other unexpected / undesired behavior when trying to link them into programs compiled by the new version -- hence the direction to recompile.

Better safe than sorry.

Htbaa(Posted 2010) [#8]
I have never uninstalled BlitzMax. I just install over my current installation and recompile all third party modules, after which I rebuild the documentation and it has never bitten me in the ass.

GfK(Posted 2010) [#9]
I just move my custom mods out of the way, uninstall, delete C:\Blitzmax, reinstall, move the mods back. Job done.

xlsior(Posted 2010) [#10]
Oh -- skipping the uninstall -often- works, but not always -- for example, one of the past updates moved MaxGUI out of the brl.mod folder into its own hierarchy. Unless you uninstalled first or manually removed all of the MaxGUI folders first, this would result in a bunch of errors because of conflicting function and variable names...

Brucey(Posted 2010) [#11]
And then there was the time recently where some imports of BRL.Map were removed from some modules, which required changes elsewhere because of the implied hierarchy.

GaryV(Posted 2010) [#12]
Pipes: You seem very confused and misinformed about something. BRL quit doing upgrades/updates for BlitzMax a long time ago. BRL now only releases full-version installs, due to all of the problems in the past incurred with upgrades/updates being applied properly for multiple platforms.

Floyd(Posted 2010) [#13]
The instructions still say to uninstall previous versions first, which isn't necessary.
I install new versions to an appropriately named folder, such as \BlitzMax138.

Then only snag is if you use modules not included with the distribution. In that case you will have to copy them to the new location.

But in any case it's okay to have several versions installed.

Pipes(Posted 2010) [#14]
Thanks for the replies and suggestions. I suppose I have no choice in the matter. Resistance is futile... When I installed BMax the first time, I had a lot of trouble. I suppose if I mess it up, you fine individuals will give me some guidance. Thanks ; )

GaryV(Posted 2010) [#15]
Pipes: A good rule of thumb for any programming language is to install each new version in its own directory. It keeps things from being overwritten, and it makes it very easy to revert back to the previous version if a bug is introduced in the new version of a programming language or compatibility issues are introduced.

Arowx(Posted 2010) [#16]
LOL: Now you tell me just after I've been playing with the newest MinGW/GCC build version and Bruceys bmk_ng and breaking everything!