Deleting item from list

BlitzMax Forums/BlitzMax Beginners Area/Deleting item from list

Rico(Posted 2010) [#1]
Hi its been a while since i used Linked lists and i cant remember how to delete an item.

i am going through the list using the EachIn with a next loop command ,and i wanted to use the ListRemove command, but it needs an item of type TLink so it can remove it. how do i get the item in this form. hope that makes sense. Thanks for any help :)

Who was John Galt?(Posted 2010) [#2]
Nah...

ListRemove(myList,myTypeInstance)

No link needed.

Rico(Posted 2010) [#3]
thanks john, i saw that but it says its not that fast because it ahs to scan the list first. i am using it in a game so i need it to be quick. i think i might use NextLink to go through the list instead.

GfK(Posted 2010) [#4]
I've always used list.remove(object) and never encountered any noticable/problematic speed issues. I've never even come across anything that's made me want to optimise.

Depending on what you're doing you might find TMaps to be more suited.

Rico(Posted 2010) [#5]
sorry i meant i wanted to use the RemoveLink command, i made a mistake earlier, apologies, but how do i get the link to use in that?, thats what i meant. i could use the ListRemove one but it does sound a waste scanning through the whole list to find it, if i am traversing the list already. i might have lots of Linkedlists for all sorts of objects so would be useful just to remove the link. thank you :)

Who was John Galt?(Posted 2010) [#6]
Like Gfk, I haven't been concerned by the speed issues.

ListAddLast returns the Tlink of the added entry, so you can store that (usually in a field of the object you added) for later use when removing it.

Rico(Posted 2010) [#7]
ahh thank you John i will store that. easy when you know how. Thank you very much :)

Jesse(Posted 2010) [#8]
if you are really concerned about speed, the best way to go about it is to stop from creating and deleting objects constantly. Recycling will greatly increase your speed.

Czar Flavius(Posted 2010) [#9]
Type TSomething
	Field me:TLink

Method New()
		me = somelist.AddLast(Self)
	End Method

Method Kill()
		me.Remove()
	End Method
End Type