Question about "dynamic variable names"

BlitzMax Forums/BlitzMax Beginners Area/Question about "dynamic variable names"

theHand(Posted 2010) [#1]
Is there a way to name a variable (handle) with a String, when the String can change beforehand?

I need to have a hash table (got one) list that variables can be created from, with the variable handles based on the entries in the hash table so that random access is possible through an array. I get the feeling that there's some confusing, roundabout way I'm going to have to do this (that there's no way to do what I asked at top), but I would like to be sure.

matibee(Posted 2010) [#2]
There's a lot of code to digest in that link, but given it's 3 years old I guess it predates the TMap?

Do you want direct access to avoid constant look-ups into the map?

You can link variables directly to the TMap since ValueForKey returns the actual instance and not a copy, giving you read/write access to the map values. This example has three types linked to one entry in the map..

Superstrict
Graphics 800, 600

Type integer
	Field i:Int 
	Function Create:integer ( i:Int )
		Local in:integer = New integer
		in.i = i
		Return in
	End Function 
End Type 

Local map:TMap = New TMap
map.Insert( "1", integer.Create( 99 ) )

Local a1:integer = integer( map.ValueForKey( "1" ))
Local a2:integer = integer( map.ValueForKey( "1" ))
Local a3:integer = integer( map.ValueForKey( "1" ))

While Not AppTerminate()
	cls
	DrawRect( a1.i, 20, 20, 20 )
	DrawRect( a2.i, 60, 20, 20 )
	DrawRect( a3.i, 100, 20, 20 )
	flip

If ( KeyHit( KEY_LEFT ) ) a1.i :- 5
	If ( KeyHit( KEY_RIGHT ) ) a1.i :+ 5

Wend 

If you later wanted to assign, for example, "a3" to a different value in the map, it's just a one-off look up.

Am I close?

plash(Posted 2010) [#3]
You can probably write some C++ code to get a hash table that stores pointers instead of objects (if that's what you really want, instead of having to deal with objects).
I've written an integer-key-based hash table for Max before, it shouldn't be hard to adopt to your problem.

theHand(Posted 2010) [#4]
Do you want direct access to avoid constant look-ups into the map?

(if that's what you really want, instead of having to deal with objects)

Yeah, I am worried about the overhead of objects, and I very much don't want to rely on them when there are faster methods, even if only trivially faster. I'm just that kind of person.
Also I don't know C or C++, and I wanted to make this project in BlitzMax, and start learning C to do it over again to make it faster while I'm selling the BlitzMax version.

Well it boils down to me wanting to store conditional statements in a string array, looping through that never endingly. I am currently working on an "RPG Maker" type program, and I am still in the planning stage. Here is what I have so far (pseudo-code):
(the entries in the arrays would be repeated based on how many objects were specified by the user)
gObject Array[ object( can a be tile, the player character, an NPC, an enemy, etc.) ]

Rem
create a hash table from the gObject Array beforehand( making sure that there are NO duplicate
entries), store it, and "map" it to the other arrays (i.e. object at position [5] in the array (starting
from 0, so the 6th) will reference the "data holder" array starting at position [35] for it's data, so
that the object need not be re-referenced( for specific values) within a loop or otherwise, with
the object's x and y values only needed to be "read" once( maybe from
a loading screen--however short) from the object and stored in the array for future
checks/calculations, being referenced by array position in the future instead of using object
methods

a gObject would store images and other things
EndRem

String Array[ switch( can be "on" or "off" (will skip ahead to next switch if "off")), type of
condition, number of arguments( depends on condition type), arguments ]

Rem
use a Select...Case block with each Case being a different type of condition, passing values
using the "number of arguments" from the appropriate array index

also, depending on the type of condition (i.e. whether it takes place before the game really
starts), the conditions should be added into the String Array by the editor according to
importance
EndRem

String Array[ variable name, value of variable ]

Rem
create a hash table of all of the variable names beforehand( so that they can be set up and
referenced appropriately) but do not provide for dynamic creation of variables for
now (unfortunately, this does not seem to be something I can circumvent)
EndRem

Int Array[ object type, x position, y position, image handle, drawing layer, degrees of rotation ]

Rem
so, 6 parameters per object for the "data holder" array

when an object is deleted from the gObject Array, you must update the "data holder" array
EndRem

Eventually I just want to have all this stored as XML, and just read it back as "opening" a "project file" in the RPG-Maker-clone editor( if you haven't used it then, well, let me say that the user specifies almost everything beforehand, then compiles it into an unchanging 'game' (you can see it's help file here)), and I would just build everything off of that.

Would I just make different Functions for all of the different types of my game, and, depending on the 'conditional type', feed them values from the 'conditional' string array? Are Functions the answer??
The only thing is, since the user will create everything beforehand (including variables (and name these variables whatever name they will), and tie these variables to different things), it's getting hard to wrap my head around.

theHand(Posted 2010) [#5]
Oh, also, I am not asking you to do any of that that's in the code box for me. I have done enough testing to know that code can be written to my design (so far). The issue I posted here is the last major hurdle I have in my design.

plash(Posted 2010) [#6]
Yeah, I am worried about the overhead of objects, and I very much don't want to rely on them when there are faster methods, even if only trivially faster. I'm just that kind of person.
Using objects in the hash table itself shouldn't be much of a speed issue, though (constantly) accessing an object's field might be..

Also I don't know C or C++, and I wanted to make this project in BlitzMax, and start learning C to do it over again to make it faster while I'm selling the BlitzMax version.
Ah, righto.

How are you planning to handle different data types (int, float, long, double)/types (strings?)?
I would say to do what matibee suggests, only when you access the object to make a local variable that points to the object's field (the above question greatly affects this solution). That should work well for using the same variable more than once, but if you're only using it once in an equation (or passing it off) you needn't do that. Also, you'll run into issues if you want to pass that 'variable' off to another function to (potentially) make changes to it.. in that case you would either have to pass the object or a pointer to the object's value.

theHand(Posted 2010) [#7]
Okay, I think between the hash function I have from the Code Archives, and TMap (which also seems to be for hash functions??), I'm gonna figure out something.

How are you planning to handle different data types (int, float, long, double)/types (strings?)

Hey, you're right, I should add a "type variable", so it would be
String Array[ variable name, variable type, value of variable ]
Then they would be converted.

No no wrong. Two arrays, one for Longs and one for Strings, in the format shown in the pseudo-code box.

Thanks guys (matibee especially for giving a TMap example, had no idea what TMap was for before that).

theHand(Posted 2010) [#8]
Is there a way to name a variable (handle) with a String, when the String can change beforehand?

I think can declare variables with the names of other variables, according to the Lua docs page in the pub.mod folder.
Accessing Lua Globals
The code
lua_pushstring(LuaState, "BMXString")
lua_setglobal (LuaState, "luaglobal")

defines a global Lua variable (called luaglobal) which contains a string (namely "BMXString").

pretty sure this is sorta what I was looking for

Please, someone correct me if I am wrong because I think that I may be misinterpreting what I have read about Lua in the BlitzMax documentation.

Lua's weird but I guess it's incredibly flexible.