Coding Convention/Programming Style

BlitzMax Forums/BlitzMax Beginners Area/Coding Convention/Programming Style

BLaBZ(Posted 2010) [#1]
I'm about to develop a larger project then usual and was wondering about coding convention, programming styles, and folder organization.

I think it's really important to have modular coding and to keep things organized though I've never coded a larger project before.

Just wondering what techniques you guys use to keep code clean and reusable?

Thanks!

ImaginaryHuman(Posted 2010) [#2]
I think in some ways, the more you can separate things out into `modules` that are sort of self contained and not too (if at all) dependent on each other, the better, because then you can pretty much work on parts without having to worry so much about it breaking all kinds of things. Organization is pretty important in a bigger project. For me I would probably write some stuff down and get a sense of the total project, what it will basically include, and how you can break that down into parts, and then sort of build around that. That's definitely better than going with a procedural spaghetti mess. You don't have to try to be an object-oriented purist, and although OO helps the programmer it doesn't necessarily help performance sometimes... but some balance between the two is good.

Also when the project is large you might not really know ahead of time how certain parts of it are going to work or how it needs to be structured. I'd say you need to pin down the areas that you really need to know about `from the start`, e.g. like networking or if you're going to use some kind of large spacial partitioning scheme or something like that e.g. a quadtree with all objects in it or something, then you need to design that first and get it right cus it won't be easy to convert it later.

Overall I guess make sure you are confident about the big stuff that you won't be able to change later, and go from there.

ImaginaryHuman(Posted 2010) [#3]
Something to also think about is that some people plan everything up-front and make design documents. Some people swear by it, some people think it's totally uncreative. PopCap for example does not do design documents. It seems to be becoming more popular to use an iterative design process over time where you test lots of variations of the system until you find the one that works best. But for that you need to be able to experiment quite easily and quickly.