Obtain reference to an object in a TList

BlitzMax Forums/BlitzMax Beginners Area/Obtain reference to an object in a TList

WiredWorm(Posted 2010) [#1]
Hi there,

This is probably really easy to do but unfortunately the documenation on TLists is a little brief to say the least.

I've made a new TList object and then placed a number of custom objects into it.

How do I retrieve a reference to one of those objects so I can modify it's attributes?

I've tried referencing it by defining a TLink and then using TList.LastLink but it doesn't seem to actually return a reference to the object because when I try to update an attribute it says the name isn't recognised.

Thanks

Pete

BladeRunner(Posted 2010) [#2]

Same for objects, too. You iterate through the list with eachin.
Lists are very good if you need to alter many (but an unknown, varying number of) objects in the same manner.

WiredWorm(Posted 2010) [#3]
But what if you don't want to iterate through all items in the list but want to reference a specific item?

GfK(Posted 2010) [#4]
You can use TList's ValueAtIndex method, which will return an Object. You'd then have to cast the object to whatever type its meant to be, i.e.

t:myType = myType(myTList.ValueAtIndex(2))

(the index should be in the range 0 to myTList.Count()-1)

Brucey(Posted 2010) [#5]
Note though, that ValueAtIndex will iterate through all items until it gets to that index... Speedy it ain't!

ziggy(Posted 2010) [#6]
whenever you get an object from a TList, you have to 'cast it' to tell BlitzMax wich kind of object it is. To do so, use any type name as a 'function conversion'.

As instance:
Local MyVariable:TMyObject 
MyVariable = TMyObject(MyList.First())  'Notice the type name as a 'conversion function' here.
MyVariable.MyField = "Hello world" 

GfK(Posted 2010) [#7]
Note though, that ValueAtIndex will iterate through all items until it gets to that index... Speedy it ain't!
Yep, if you need to regularly use ValueAtIndex you should consider an alternative. TMaps are good, or arrays. Depends on what you want to do, really.

Czar Flavius(Posted 2010) [#8]
TList.LastLink gives a link to the last object in the list - is this what you want to do? Or do you want to gain access to an object in the middle of the list?

When you add an object to a list, you can catch its link then:
'add object to list and store link
Local link:TLink = my_list.AddLast(my_object)

'.............. later on

'retrieve object from link, and store the object you get in a temporary variable
Local temp_object:TMyObject = TMyObject(link.Value())
'you can now modify the temporary variable and the object in the list is updated immediately
temp_object.my_field = 5

You need to find an appropriate way of storing those links you get for easy access later, or you could end up just moving the problem from one part of the code to another. This depends on what you are trying to do exactly.

BladeRunner(Posted 2010) [#9]
But what if you don't want to iterate through all items in the list but want to reference a specific item?

As mentioned above TList is good if you want to access many objects in the same manner, for example calling all objects 'update'-method.
If you need direct access to specific instances an array ot TMap will be much more efficient.