Has anyone tested installing BlitzMax to a thumb d

BlitzMax Forums/BlitzMax Beginners Area/Has anyone tested installing BlitzMax to a thumb d

Lane(Posted 2010) [#1]
Has anyone tested installing BlitzMax to a thumb drive to support bringing the compiler with you between workstations?

Warpy(Posted 2010) [#2]
Yes, and it works on my uni PC, which is very restricted.

Lane(Posted 2010) [#3]
Thank's Warpy
I've installed it to the 8GB thumb drive and it seems to work okay on the PC I installed it from. I have yet to test from a different PC.

Lane(Posted 2010) [#4]
It seems to work okay as far as loading a sample and compiling and running on a different pc.

_Skully(Posted 2010) [#5]
Sweet... nice to know

xlsior(Posted 2010) [#6]
Yup, no problems.

you can do a straight copy -> paste for the blitzmax install folder onto a thumbdrive, and it'll work. you don't need to run the actual installer.

Ryan Burnside(Posted 2010) [#7]
I have also done this. The games would not run at full speed so that is a consideration if you are doing any bench marking.

GfK(Posted 2010) [#8]
I have also done this. The games would not run at full speed so that is a consideration if you are doing any bench marking.
Why wouldn't it run at full speed?

Ryan Burnside(Posted 2010) [#9]
I think it had something to do with the driver or usb device itself. But it ran about 45 FPS coming strait off the thumb device. I'll admit that it may have been a single case but still should be something to consider. Maybe the port was USB 1.0 but I highly doubt it.

GfK(Posted 2010) [#10]
Well, I could understand that the loading/compile time might be longer but I don't get why an executable would run slower once everything's been loaded. Doesn't makes sense?

plash(Posted 2010) [#11]
Well, I could understand that the loading/compile time might be longer but I don't get why an executable would run slower once everything's been loaded. Doesn't makes sense?
It certainly does not make sense.
The only slowdown you have is when your application starts up (and, presumably, when it loads data off of the drive). Other than that it should run just as fast.

_Skully(Posted 2010) [#12]
Unless he's using resources off the thumb drive continuously... which would be a bad thing under any circumstances. But ya, once its compiled and running and its not accessing data on the thunb drive it should make no difference what-so-ever.

Czar Flavius(Posted 2010) [#13]
If you're running from a thumb-drive, you are probably using it on a different computer - which might not be as fast as your main computer?