How do you know what Framework to import?

BlitzMax Forums/BlitzMax Beginners Area/How do you know what Framework to import?

Chroma(Posted 2010) [#1]
I'm trying to get the exe as small as possible. Is there a list somewhere of what you can import for certain basic functionalities or do you have to comb through the mod folder?

Chroma(Posted 2010) [#2]
Ok to be more specific...and I need is brl.basic, brl.socket, and the mod that has the Left$() command in it....can't find that one.

Kurator(Posted 2010) [#3]
There is a tool around here, called Framework Assistant, in analyzes your code and suggest you the optimal import and framwork statements

Chroma(Posted 2010) [#4]
brl.Retro!!! Gebus...

matibee(Posted 2010) [#5]
link to FA.. http://homepage.ntlworld.com/config/fa/

Difference(Posted 2010) [#6]
Slice instead? :-)
SuperStrict
Local s:String = "Cheese"
s= s[..3]
Print s

Chroma(Posted 2010) [#7]
Lol peter.

Chroma(Posted 2010) [#8]
Hmm...very handy...but...

It doesn't recognize what to import for "KeyHit()".

Tani(Posted 2010) [#9]
Yeah, Framework Assistant really is a must-have tool. Though not flawless (it puts MaxGUI.MaxGUI instead of MaxGUI.Drivers for those who uses the MaxGUI for example) it's so essential (at least it is for me) that I don't get why they haven't integrated it in the IDE yet. x3

As for KeyHit, it should be part of the standard libraries I think (that always gets imported no matter the framework), but if you get an error about it try:
Import BRL.PolledInput

REDi(Posted 2010) [#10]
If you hit f1 twice in the IDE and bring up the docs, the module the function's in is written at the top of the help page, ie BRL.PolledInput for HitKey.

Chroma(Posted 2010) [#11]
Just saying..it missed brl.polledinput for Keyhit().

Maybe time for an update. But yeah that thing is priceless.

Tani(Posted 2010) [#12]
I see, I got the error too now when I tested around, and yeah, like I said, it's not flawless. xD

Most graphical libraries seem to import BRL.PolledInput as well (like if you import BRL.GLMax2D or MaxGUI.Drivers) so most of the time you do not really need to import that.

EOF(Posted 2010) [#13]
As author of Framework Assistant:

Yep, I really need to update FA at some point . There are a few hard-coded things in there and lots of importing methods have changed during BlitzMax updates

Sledge(Posted 2010) [#14]
Does the Mac version work yet?

EOF(Posted 2010) [#15]
No idea. I am willing to email you the current source so you can compile on Mac if you wish

Sledge(Posted 2010) [#16]
Oh, did you not compile the Mac version I tried a year ago in that thread? But yes, I'll give it a compile on my lil' Intel Mini if there's a more recent version. That's very generous, thanks! (Email addy in profile.)

EOF(Posted 2010) [#17]
On its way to you

Murilo(Posted 2010) [#18]
Can either of you provide me with a compiled Mac version (or the source so I can compile it myself)?

I'd love to use this on my current project (a Google Docs uploader app). Thanks

EOF(Posted 2010) [#19]
Check your email

Murilo(Posted 2010) [#20]
Thanks Jim. Appreciate it.

Sledge(Posted 2010) [#21]
@MJ: Can you post a binary if you can compile it, please? I don't have MaxGUI here :(