Purchasing Blitzmax

BlitzMax Forums/BlitzMax Beginners Area/Purchasing Blitzmax

Farflame(Posted 2009) [#1]
I've been using the Blitzmax demo and want to buy it now that my trial period is over. I've purchased B3D and Blitzplus in the past and I still have my B3D manual with it's license, but I have no idea about my Blitzplus license - although it is mentioned in my profile. Just wondering, if I buy Blitzmax but don't know my Blitzplus license number, will I still be able to get BlitzGUI for free as I'd like to mess around with that too.

markcw(Posted 2009) [#2]
I think you need the license key.

plash(Posted 2009) [#3]
Uhmm.. I don't recall if you need to enter it in again, or if it just checks to see if you've already registered your BlitzPlus key.

Who was John Galt?(Posted 2009) [#4]
Go ahead and purchase max. If you don't get maxgui free, email blitz support and they will resolve it.

Floyd(Posted 2009) [#5]
The product registration page shows the license number of each product you have already registered.

Farflame(Posted 2009) [#6]
Ah great, thanks.

plash(Posted 2009) [#7]
You might want to consider using wxMax (or even QtMax - whenever that is complete) instead of MaxGUI. It has a far larger feature set, and possibly a more appealing model (don't know your background, so I could be wrong).

Retimer(Posted 2009) [#8]
You might want to consider using wxMax (or even QtMax - whenever that is complete) instead of MaxGUI.

For anything more professional than a 'quick test app' that needs good gui, I agree with plash...maxgui is terrible when you compare it to the capabilities of wx* - which is unfortunate for myself and others who actually paid for maxgui.

Farflame(Posted 2009) [#9]
Not heard of wxMax, but I'll certainly look into it. I've programmed a lot with Blitz3D in the past and have been trying my hand with Visual Basic recently, but I really prefer Blitz so I'm looking to get back into it. There are some great features in VB that I'll miss when using Blitz, so if wxMax has more features than MaxGUI then maybe that's what I'm looking for.

plash(Posted 2009) [#10]
There are some great features in VB that I'll miss when using Blitz, so if wxMax has more features than MaxGUI then maybe that's what I'm looking for.
wxWidgets has a form builder that will generate XML for the entire UI. Brucey wrote an XML -> BlitzMax converter for wxMax, so it's really easy to build up complex apps.

EvanBangBang(Posted 2010) [#11]
I just bought BlitzMax and downloaded it. What on earth do I do with the license key? BlitzMax is installed but when I type Print in the IDE it does not change to that yellow color like it did in the demo?

When I open BlitzMax it says "Documentation not found - Rebuild documentation?" I clicked rebuild and it doesn't work.

*Edit* Wow I am such an idiot, after I registered the license i clicked to rebuild and it worked.

xlsior(Posted 2010) [#12]
I just bought BlitzMax and downloaded it. What on earth do I do with the license key?

IIRC you don't need the license key to actually install the program, but you use it to register the program with BRL. In doing so, you'll be able to download the latest updates to Blitzmax when they are released.
To register your copy:
- Go do this website (done, if you're reading this)
- To to the 'accounts' tab at the top of the screen
- Go to 'Register Products'
- After registering, go to the 'Product Updates' tab and check if there are any updates available. The latest release version is 1.38, which may or may not be the one that you received after making your purchase.

When I open BlitzMax it says "Documentation not found - Rebuild documentation?

Try manually going to Program -> Rebuild Documentation once, and see if that makes it remember. blitzmax has to scan all the installed modules before it will do syntax highlighting, it sounds like that didn't complete properly for you.

Martin W(Posted 2010) [#13]
The last two posts also apply to me, but I managed to install the program. But it will not run a simple program like the example suggested:
Print "Hello"
Instead it comes up with error messages about not being able to open the Hello.exe file (in a location string "C:/Program Files/BlitzMax/tmp/Hello.exe" (with or without a Debug in the name etc.) It didn't create a tmp folder. It didn't put the excutable in the tmp folder I added manually. And as this is a Windows Vista 32-bit computer why is it using forward slashes anyway? I can't find any help on the installation or whether it needs to have the license key entered - and if so when and where, etc. It is registered on the website, but I can't find a way to activate the program so that it runs correctly. Any ideas???

Gabriel(Posted 2010) [#14]
And as this is a Windows Vista 32-bit computer why is it using forward slashes anyway?

Because BlitzMax is cross-platform and backward slashes are not.

It is registered on the website, but I can't find a way to activate the program so that it runs correctly. Any ideas???

Yes. it sounds like a configuration problem with your computer rather than BlitzMax not being "activated". Either disable User Account Control, install BlitzMax to a folder which is not within Program Files or at the very least do all your work in a folder which is not within Program Files. With UAC enabled, your computer will not permit BlitzMax to write to any folder within Program Files.