Raknet for Blitzmax?

BlitzMax Forums/BlitzMax Beginners Area/Raknet for Blitzmax?

Farflame(Posted 2009) [#1]
I used Raknet with Blitz3D in the past and I really liked the setup. Just wondering if it's available for BlitzMax too? I'm considering starting a new project and think I'll come back to BlitzMax as it's by far my preferred language, but it'll be a multi-player game so I'm hoping I can use Raknet again. Also, if Raknet is available, is there a simple tutorial for use with BlitzMax to help me re-familiarise myself with it, as it's been a couple of years since I used either language.

Htbaa(Posted 2009) [#2]
I believe Brucey is wrapping it: BaH.Raknet.

Farflame(Posted 2009) [#3]
Wrapping it now, so it's not ready yet ..... but might be soon? :)

xlsior(Posted 2009) [#4]
I'm pretty sure the main stuff is all there, the last part he's been working on is Raknet Voice IIR.

You'll need SVN to get it from Brucey's SVN repository though, and MinGW to compile it.

Farflame(Posted 2009) [#5]
Well, are there any other simple server/client wrappers I can use with Blitzmax at the moment? I don't need to do anything really complicated, just set up a simple server/client and send packets back and forth. I suppose I could just do it myself with the basic commands but I find these wrappers really useful as they add a lot of features that I like but can't really get my brain around.

Retimer(Posted 2009) [#6]
Yes the client-server & bitstreams are working fine the last time I used them with bruceys RakNet mod - possibly some minor issues, but nothing you can't work around in the meantime of its development.

Zeke(Posted 2009) [#7]
http://www.blitzmax.com/Community/posts.php?topic=87434 <= i have been trying to update latest bruceys svn mod to the latest raknet version.. and its working very well..
and in examples folder i made simple client/server test using bitstream.

Farflame(Posted 2009) [#8]
Ah brilliant. I'm new to Blitzmax so it might be a bit of a learning curve for me, but I do know Raknet from B3D so hopefully it'll just be a bit of a conversion process for me before I'm back into the swing of it. Downloading now, thanks for your efforts :)

Farflame(Posted 2009) [#9]
This looks really good and your examples are great, simple and clear. Only problem I have atm is that I can't find the bah.raknet file in any of the folders. I'm new to Blitzmax, should that file be somewhere and do I need to save it somewhere?

xlsior(Posted 2009) [#10]
bah.raknet is a module name --

for it to work the contents of the module should be stored in the following path:

blitzmax/mod/bah.mod/raknet.mod

Then when you import bah.raknet, it will use the compiled module inside that folder.

Farflame(Posted 2009) [#11]
Thanks. I can't even get MaxGUI to work at the moment so I think I'd better start from the beginning.

Farflame(Posted 2009) [#12]
Could someone be kind enough to get me past this first step as I see no instructions or tutorials for any of this.

When I download MaxGUI, it says I need to install it to my BlitzMax Mod directory. There wasn't such a directory, so I created one and installed it into there. It then says ...... Once successfully installed, your BlitzMax 'mod' directory should contain at least the 'brl.mod', 'pub.mod' and 'maxgui.mod' subdirectories .....

It doesn't, it only contains maxgui.mod.

When I now try Import maxgui.Drivers in BlitzMax, I just get the error 'Can't find interface for maxgui.drivers'.

In short, can anyone tell me if there's a tutorial or walkthrough for installing mods and so on? The Maxgui tutorial just kicks off with the assumption that it's already working.

I've actually used Maxgui before but that was in the Blitzmax demo and it seemed to be automatically included with that.

Zeke(Posted 2009) [#13]
check again you folders....

C:\Blitmax\mod\maxgui.mod\

this i my root dir

Farflame(Posted 2009) [#14]
Oh that's odd, I seem to have Blitzmax in my Program Files directory, but also in c:\Blitzmax. I was working with the one in Program Files..... it's obviously the wrong one.... and I'm not sure how that got there. Maybe it's because I just upgraded from 1.3 to 1.36?

But yes, it works now I've installed it into the c:\Blitzmax folder, thanks :)

xlsior(Posted 2009) [#15]
Blitzmax *used* to install under c:\program files, but 1.35 and later changed that to c:\blitzmax by default.

The main reason for that change is that by default under Vista and Windows 7 UAC is enabled, which prevents the creation of .exe's under the c:\program files folder structure by default which leads to all kind of interesting problems, including being unable to run the samples from the built-in help since those would get compiled into a subfolder a s well.

moving to c:\blitzmax means less problems for new users to get started, hence the change.

Farflame(Posted 2009) [#16]
Ahhh, that was a bit confusing and now I seem to have the old stuff stuck in my program files. Oh well, at least it's working now I know :)

Farflame(Posted 2009) [#17]
Sorry to be a pain, but MaxGUI is working fine now, but not Raknet. I've put the Raknet.mod folder in the same Blitzmax\mod folder but it's giving that same 'Can't find interface for bah.Raknet' error again. Where do I put the Raknet.mod folder, or is there some tutorial somewhere to help me get started with mods? I've read the Blitzmax modules section but it's not helping at the moment.

xlsior(Posted 2009) [#18]
the contents of the raknet package would be installed in:

C:\blitzmax\mod\bah.mod\raknet.mod

Not sure what the package entails, but you'd have several .bmx files, some subdirectories, etc. straight under that raknet.mod directory.

Farflame(Posted 2009) [#19]
Thanks, that works :)