SetVirtualResolution Blurry

BlitzMax Forums/BlitzMax Beginners Area/SetVirtualResolution Blurry

Hezkore(Posted 2009) [#1]
Using SetVirtualResolution to stretch things out is very blurry, is there any way to make it old-school pixely?

xlsior(Posted 2009) [#2]
Stetching pixels is going to make it blurry no matter what you do.

I'd think that it's better suited for taking a large virtual resolution and mapping it to a lower physical resolution, than the other way around.

Hezkore(Posted 2009) [#3]
Stretching pixels doesn't have to be blurry, if there's no filter applied to the stretching it should just increase the size of the pixels instead of blurring between them.

Here are some examples of it from an old test I did:

Oddball(Posted 2009) [#4]
Have you tried removing the FILTEREDIMAGE flag when loading your images?

Hezkore(Posted 2009) [#5]
Ahh yes thank you Oddball!
That makes sense, I was thinking about maybe removing the filter for the backbuffer or something. xD

MGE(Posted 2009) [#6]
Unless you're upscaling to an even 2x,3x,4x etc of the original pixel size, it will probably look better with filterting on.

Kryzon(Posted 2009) [#7]
Holy moly Hekzore, who did that pixel art?

[apart from the amazing background,] the guy in the foreground is awesome.

GfK(Posted 2009) [#8]
Holy moly Hekzore, who did that pixel art?
Revolution Software - its Beneath a Steel Sky.

Kryzon(Posted 2009) [#9]
Thanks GfK. I wonder if they painted the background from scratch or worked from some kind of maquette photography.

Brucey(Posted 2009) [#10]
Deluxe Paint? :-)

Kryzon(Posted 2009) [#11]
Exactly because of that.
You can see there's some noise on the overall background, which leads me to think that they handpainted it on some real-life medium (or used a maquette, which is more unlikely) and then scanned into the computer to paint over, touch up and fix a few things.

Also, if you look closely at the red thingy on the left-extremity and the sign at the door on the right-extreme, they don't have the same kind of antialiasing from the rest of the structure (which looks like the one you would get from scanning something).

Anyway, back to programming!

xlsior(Posted 2009) [#12]
I remember reading some interview with the creators of Beneath a Steel Sky game in an Amiga magazine when it first came out -- IIRC they created pencil sketches first, then oil paintings, and finally scanned them into the computer to be touched up in a paint program.

Hezkore(Posted 2009) [#13]
The backgrounds were made by Dave Gibbons a English comic book artist.
They are hand drawn and usually a lot of odd things are drawn on around "important" things so you can get an idea of what to do. Like that red thing, it pulls your attention to the corner and you're supposed to grab the pipe there and use it to bend open the door.

Kryzon(Posted 2009) [#14]
Hmm, interesting info. I wish someday I can paint something as realistic as that background... gotta have a keen eye for lighting and texture.