Parent Child Objects in different files

BlitzMax Forums/BlitzMax Beginners Area/Parent Child Objects in different files

jonwalker(Posted 2009) [#1]
Hi All,

I've got into a sticky mess creating my game, so I've decided to go back to basics in order to understand how BlitzMax can be used with multiple files.

After one test I'm confused. I am unable to compile a Parent Child relationship where the Child can talk to the Parent.

If I place the code in one file it complies OK:
'main2.bmx

Type TFather
	Field c:TChild

Method InitChild()
		c = New TChild	
	End Method
End Type

Type TChild
	Field parent:TFather
End Type

Global Father:TFather = New TFather

Father.InitChild()

However spliting the files and using Imports does not work, here I have three files:
'main.bmx

Import "TFather.bmx"
Import "TChild.bmx"

Global Father:TFather = New TFather

Father.InitChild()

' TFather.bmx
Strict

Import "TChild.bmx"

Type TFather
	Field c:TChild

Method InitChild()
	c = New TChild

End Method

End Type

' TChild.bmx
Strict

Import "TFather.bmx"

Type TChild
	Field parent:TFather
End Type

Gives the error "Compile Error. Unable to open file '.bmx/TFather.bmx.debug.win32.x86.i"

I assume this error is because TFather is importing TChild and TChild is importing TFather. So before a file can compile the other file must be known.

In C++ I'd create a header file for each object then include the header file but with a compilation directive that would say, hey if you've compiled this don't try and compile it again.

But it appears that the BlitzMax compiler doesn't have the option to include these compiler directives. Nor the intelligence to work it out what has been compiled already (I thought this was the point of multiple passes in a compiler?).

The only other option I have been able to get to compile is to remove all Imports from all files, then in the Main.bmx use "Include" on all of the files. While this works it seems to defeat the purpose of compiling individual files and of object reuse.

What is the excepted and best practice for using multiple objects and files in a single program?

Maybe this is just not possible?

Regards, Jon

GW(Posted 2009) [#2]
defeat the purpose of compiling individual files and of object reuse

you've removed that option by coupling the 2 types together.
just use include and move forward with the project.

jonwalker(Posted 2009) [#3]
Thanks for the reply. I've tried the Import on that one file and Import on the others. Now it's giving me properties not found on objects. I've stuffed up somewhere.

I could pass all of the parent properties to the child, but that seems quite inefficient, but I'll leave that as an option.

Since I'm using the Blide editor I'm going to try the "Managed Solution" build option and see if it can get it to work.

I'll post back as I'm sure others must run into this problem for non trivial games.

Thanks, Jon

jonwalker(Posted 2009) [#4]
OK that took 22 minutes to convert my game from an "unmanaged solution" in Blide to a "Managed solution". It's now compiling.

If others are interested then the Managed Solution allows you to remove all Imports and Includes, in doing so the IDE will then "Manage" them for you.

For reference "Blide" is a replacement IDE for BlitzMax:
http://www.blide.org/

It's not ideal in that I'm now stuck on Windows and wont be able to easily compile for the Mac later. But I figure it's my first game in BlitzMax and I want to be coding the game and worrying as little as possible about the limitations of the compiler.

Though if anyone does have a solution to this Parent/Child communication across files issue then I'd be keen to hear your thoughts! (the response - learn how to design OOP properly is a valid one)

Regards, Jon

ziggy(Posted 2009) [#5]
It's not ideal in that I'm now stuck on Windows and wont be able to easily compile for the Mac later
Yes! The managed solution code is compatible with mac and Linux. Just compile the program manager that is automatically generated by BLIde on a Max or Linux and it'll work.

jonwalker(Posted 2009) [#6]
Excellent news! Thanks for the correction. :o)

Thanks, Jon

TaskMaster(Posted 2009) [#7]
Doesn't it just create a huge list of includes?

ziggy(Posted 2009) [#8]
Doesn't it just create a huge list of includes?

It deppends on how you organize your solution. If there's only one main program manager, everything else will be included but you can create as much additional program managers as you want spread and orgnize your code files in 'compilation units' and make those compilation units imported on other compilations units. In the form of a compilation tree. That is easilly done using BLIde managed solutions and mixes the best of import and include.

You can have more info about this here: http://www.blide.org/help/index.html?add_import_nodes_to_a_managed_.htm

TaskMaster(Posted 2009) [#9]
Interesting. But, I like to keep control of my imports and includes manually, so if I ever need to play with my code without BLIde, I understand the way they are organized better.

Anyway, I am sure it is personal preference. I'm just a control freak. That is why I was so happy when you added the unmanaged solutions, which is also when I bought BLIde. :)

Czar Flavius(Posted 2009) [#10]
Consider this alternate design which uses only one type? (It depends exactly what these types do in your game)

Type TPerson
	Field name:String
	Field parent:TPerson
	Field child:TPerson

Method GetChildName:String()
		If child Then Return name Else Return ""
	End Method

End Type

With this structure, you can have multiple generations of people, eg grandfather. However you'd need to check that parent/child is not Null before accessing them, as you can't tell whether a person has a child or not just by looking at the type. You could put this check into some kind of GetChild... method for example. If you want people to have multiple parents/children, you'll need to change the fields to lists or arrays of TPerson but I'll leave that up to you :)

Anyway, I am sure it is personal preference. I'm just a control freak.
I love managed solutions :D I don't see what there is to get control freaked over?