Is this a good idea or lazy?

BlitzMax Forums/BlitzMax Beginners Area/Is this a good idea or lazy?

Czar Flavius(Posted 2009) [#1]
In this section of code, the object will have two links to lists which could exist or be null. If it's null, that's no biggie - it's just not in that list so no need to remove it. I've thought of a lazy way of doing this by putting it in a Try block so I don't need to test for nullness, but I've a feeling there's a catch (no pun intended). So is this a fast and easy way to do it, or just plain wrong?

If active_link Then active_link.Remove()
If inactive_link Then inactive_link.Remove()

Try
	active_link.Remove()
	inactive_link.Remove()
End Try

_Skully(Posted 2009) [#2]
Its faster to do a quick test for null since try/catch blocks are not free

Nate the Great(Posted 2009) [#3]
hmmm I never got exactly how try catch blocks worked... can someone explain how the example above works?

Czar Flavius(Posted 2009) [#4]
If you get an error, it doesn't bring the whole program to a stop, it simply leaves the Try block and carries on like normal. In the above code, if active_link is Null, instead of giving a Null object error and stopping the program, it will be silently ignored. The above code wouldn't work because if inactive_link was real and active_link was Null, it would reach the first and then leave the Try block without executing inactive_link.Remove()

If you want to be smart, you are meant to handle the error that comes from Try in some way rather than just ignore it :)

Nate the Great(Posted 2009) [#5]
ok I get it now, thanks czar flavius, and it seems like try blocks would only be for those too lazy to do error checking themselves? lol

Czar Flavius(Posted 2009) [#6]
It's useful if you are using somebody else's code or a third party module and you can't be sure it will work correctly.

Nate the Great(Posted 2009) [#7]
oh that makes sense