Graphics mode

BlitzMax Forums/BlitzMax Beginners Area/Graphics mode

Farflame(Posted 2009) [#1]
Can someone just clear something up for me please, the documentation is really bad.

As I mentioned in a previous post, I want to put a background on my game, then several things over the top of the background - 2 canvases, several text items etc. Since MaxGUI doesn't seem to allow me to overlap things like that, the solution would seem to be to do things the 'old fashioned' way, with just a single screen opened with 'Graphics 800x600' and then just draw my stuff and flip it. Problem is, I want to use a MaxGUI combobox or two in my game, is that possible if I don't open a window as a gadget?

xlsior(Posted 2009) [#2]
You can't use MaxGUI elements in a graphics window -- at all.

If you wish to use GUI functionality from within a graphics window, you'll need to use one of the 3rd pary graphics GUI's such as CEGUI, FryGUI, or one of the others floating around.

ImaginaryHuman(Posted 2009) [#3]
In MaxGUI can you set up a graphics canvas and add gadgets on top of the canvas object?

Farflame(Posted 2009) [#4]
Well the problem is that I want to put a background onto my window, otherwise it just has a plain 'Windows' look to it, and then put my graphics ontop of that (in their own canvas). But MaxGUI doesn't like me putting them ontop of each other. So I seem to have a choice of MaxGUI but no background picture or not using the combobox. I'll try looking into a combo box from one of the 3rd party GUI's as suggested.

GfK(Posted 2009) [#5]
I have it on good authority that IfsoGUI is good.

ziggy(Posted 2009) [#6]
If you're looking only for a static background, you can put a panel in the form with a background, and the controls inside the panel.