Need of re-newing Module Use Manuals!!!

BlitzMax Forums/BlitzMax Beginners Area/Need of re-newing Module Use Manuals!!!

Midimaster(Posted 2009) [#1]
I'm not really a newby in BlitzMax, but now I more and more try to use modules of third party users (f.e. Minib3d or ZipStream etc)

And I can tell you (..old senior experts :-)...) that is a really hard stuff to collect the right informations in the blitzmax forums:

...sometimes you need to compile it on your system...but ensure to have mingw installed....but did you also set the enviroment variables?...no, not for mac avaiable, sorry...oh no, "threaded" should be switched on, of course...yes this download was a special patch version of the original...no, now i have now a job and i stopped development...oh, sorry the command is still in the manual, but no longer supported since version 2.34.2.111...and so on...and so on...

Now my idea is to write a really good manual "How to use Modules".
But I cannot do it by my own, because I am to less experienced in all the eventualities, which can occure. But I have a lot of experience in writing manual, so that also a newbie can understand it. My english is not perfect, so I think we need a good native english speaker for the last corrections

Here are the reasons, why it is necessary:

many users want to participate in additonal functions, but do not have the time to find out, how it works

Many experienced users wrote nice modules and are interested, that others can use them.

there are too much questions about this theme in the forum. always the same problems, users have, and always somebody gives a too small answer.

here are a lot of old document about this theme in the forum. often with out of date advises and broken links or links to old versions of needed files.

there is no complete document about the whole procedure in chronological order:

a. Installation of MINGW
- what is it good for
- where can I get it
- what happens
- how to install
- how to enter the enviroment variables

b. Searching and Extracting the module
- what is it good for
- what happens
- which version works with which Blitzmax
- requirements
- building necessary?
- avaiable for what systems

c. Building modules
- what is it good for
- what happens
- where is the manual/ is there a manual?

d. Future of This Module
- is a future development guaranteed

We should force Module authors to give a minimum of Manual help and guarantee future updates. Therefore they should search co-authors or manual authors, so that future is guaranteed.

Our Manual could award those modules, which guarantee this minimum requirements.

f.e. "gold certified" for:
- runs on all systems (windows, linux, mac)
- offer "easy to use" install files for all systems
- install manual and use manual
- future updates guarantee
- help thread in blitzmax forum

Who would support me in the first part to write a really good manual about using foreign modules?

A lot of the newbies would use BlitzMax and buy it, if they would not have such big problems in the first weeks. So Blitz-Research could sell more Blitzmax and the really good language becomes more important.

What do you think?

Danny(Posted 2009) [#2]
A shame this never came off the ground. I'm one of those victims trying to make sense in the chaos. Lots of threads in the forum but also lots of 'old' ones I'm suspecting that are no longer valid or apply.
A quick start and overview like this would have been gratefully appreciated indeed!

D.

Brucey(Posted 2009) [#3]
f.e. "gold certified"

And perhaps "platinum certified" too, for going that extra mile :-)

Danny(Posted 2009) [#4]
Currently it's more like "having a sack pulled over your head and bricks thrown at you"-style certification... So I'll settle for lead-certified for now.

It takes a while to find your way around BMax, building modules, NOT installing old stuff, etc. Anyway, mustn't grumble, will kick ass again soon - in 3D!

I've seen your bag of unlimited goodies Brucey and surely will accept your invitation soon! First I want to be sure I can do 3D and GUI stuff... ;)

cheers,
Danny

_Skully(Posted 2009) [#5]
Why not just post a piece of it here. I would, but I really haven't used anyone else's Mod's with the exception of MaxGUI. I don't think I even have MinGW installed correctly (missing system parameter and version questions)

1. Download MinGW version {} and install it
2. Add System Environment Variable {name} with value {value}
3. Run MaxIDE and Rebuild Documentation

LOL.. I get so little computer time now that I don't know this stuff well anymore... vierd! I'm used to being the one that posts the screens and explanations! Kids eh ;)

Brucey(Posted 2009) [#6]
I suppose what might be useful is something not too dissimilar to CPAN, but for BlitzMax.
Some kind of central repository where developers can submit modules, and keep them up-to-date.
Users can search the repository, and download them easily.
Perhaps too, a utility which will help them install it.

I'm actually willing to lead this if anyone is interested in helping with designing and setting it up.
And of course, one would have to hope it would attract most of the module writers to use it too - otherwise it would be a pointless exercise.

Ideally it would also be multilingual, given, for example, the large German user-base.

If done properly, I expect it can be extremely successful.

plash(Posted 2009) [#7]
@Brucey: Are you thinking of actual revision management (SVN, CVS, Git, etc.), or just zipped/tar'd archives?

Brucey(Posted 2009) [#8]
I wasn't considering revision management.
I think it would be simpler to host archives.

Danny(Posted 2009) [#9]
@Brucey, I wouldn't mind helping out if I could. But I literally purchased BMax TODAY, so I'd only be in the way. Also, never set anything like that up online.

Perhaps an easy to use Wiki could be useful, so people (members) can add their own pages for their own mods, and mess around in their own area. Provide links to last versions, release notes, external links, users can comment, and so on... ?? In my eyes it doesn't even have to be a fancy revision management or auto update system. All I needed was to know where the FRONT DOOR is :)))

So far your repository is the best and most comprehensive I've encountered!

D.

Brucey(Posted 2009) [#10]
Perhaps an easy to use Wiki could be useful, so people (members) can add their own pages for their own mods

I think it would be far better to have a site designed for the purpose of making modules available.
Perhaps even with integrated documentation... who knows.

Brucey(Posted 2009) [#11]
And the other half of the problem is getting people to agree on ideas.

Here's some things I think are necessary :

* It needs to be simple for users to use - Search, click, download, install.

* A version-tracking (archives of previous releases) module management system for authors.

* Some kind of feedback system. Perhaps with module rating.

* Fully searchable - keyword, author, etc.

And nice-to-haves :

* Online module documentation - assuming that the developer wrote some of course. (it might even encourage it!)

* Perhaps a small GUI tool that gives access to the same information as the website.

_Skully(Posted 2009) [#12]
While this is a great idea! i'm not sure its on topic specifically though, but with the addition of a "Getting Started" section for the installation of MinGW, How to add a module, and using bmk of course...

This would be for free modules I suspect eh? Or would it also provide linking to commercial ones?

Brucey(Posted 2009) [#13]
with the addition of a "Getting Started" section

Absolutely... with examples / walkthroughs.

Given that the same questions are raised over and over... we need something in one place, that everyone knows about - or can be pointed towards.

Brucey(Posted 2009) [#14]
Anyway, yes, I've slipped off-topic... tsk ... so, just pretend I'm not here :-)

_Skully(Posted 2009) [#15]
This is good...

http://www.blitzbasic.com/Community/posts.php?topic=42290