Two questions (sell me BMax)

BlitzMax Forums/BlitzMax Beginners Area/Two questions (sell me BMax)

schilcote(Posted 2009) [#1]
I am very, very seriously considering purchasing a copy of BlitzMax. I like it because its syntax is familiar, but it has more features than B+. I also like the fact that there is a good bit more support for Max.

I was wondering two things. I want to create a FF-style (old style FF-style :P) RPG, but I don't have the skill to write my own from scratch, nor can I compress my ideas to fit inside RPG maker. Are there libraries and/or modules to help me in my quest to quest?

Also, I was wondering about the BMax license. I might be able to convince my school to purchase a copy, but only if they could buy it once and install it on all of their machines. If it's going to cost them 8,000 dollars to buy all the licenses, then I don't really stand a chance. Does the Max license allow them to install on all their machines, or can I work something out with BRL?

plash(Posted 2009) [#2]
I am very, very seriously considering purchasing a copy of BlitzMax. I like it because its syntax is familiar, but it has more features than B+. I also like the fact that there is a good bit more support for Max.
Max is very worth it.

I was wondering two things. I want to create a FF-style (old style FF-style :P) RPG, but I don't have the skill to write my own from scratch, nor can I compress my ideas to fit inside RPG maker. Are there libraries and/or modules to help me in my quest to quest?
I don't know of anything specifically related to FF-style maps. _Skully's tilemap engine might be a good one to look at.

Does the Max license allow them to install on all their machines, or can I work something out with BRL?
I do not think so.

GfK(Posted 2009) [#3]
1. Don't like or know much about RPGs. I'd be surprised if you can find much that Blitzmax isn't capable of, though.

2. You'd need to get them to contact BRL directly to discuss purchase of a site licence.

xlsior(Posted 2009) [#4]
'normally' when you buy blitzmax its for one user, so a single developer may run it on multiple PC's for testing and such. If you have multiple developers you'd need multiple licenses.

IIRC they do have some kind of options for schools, but you'd need to contact BRL for more information.

Matt McFarland(Posted 2009) [#5]
Hey,

BlitzMax is very versatile.

I've played with RPGMaker before and I'm coding with blitzmax. While Blitzmax would give you more flexability, RPGMaker is way faster at creating the FF-Style game you want (FF6 and prior) In fact one indie developer makes games with RPGMaker and sells them:
http://www.amaranthia.com/

Also, with RPGMakerVX you can customize just about anything if you understand the Ruby language. You can even make a shmup with it!

With BlitzMax you don't have a map editor, nor do you have a fancy ingame gui module. You'll have to make them yourself or most likely buy one (there's a lot of nice gui modules for blitzmax that would be GREAT for RPG's) For an RPG You'll want some framework done for GUI/Maps and probably some other things as well.

As far as licensing goes, I'd contact BRL.

_Skully(Posted 2009) [#6]
_Skully's tilemap engine might be a good one to look at.

Thanks for the plug Plash... :)

TileMax is certainly capable of RPG style maps... all you have to do is set gravity to 0 and up the surface friction and your moving in an RPG fashion... the down side is that its no-where near useful to create a complete game... I'm missing a finished path system, sound management, particles (although I'm considering timeline for that), Game GUI, a state system...

Right now theres boundless multi-later tiles, parallax and scrolling effects on any layer, gravity, friction, collision, actors with animation control, destructible layers, and a basic map editor. Actually I have more done than I expected LOL

schilcote(Posted 2009) [#7]

"I'd be surprised if you can find much that Blitzmax isn't capable of, though."

I have no doubt the language can do it, the problem would be the big fleshy thing sitting in front of the machine.

Anyway, how much would a "site liscense" run the school? We're in a bit of an economic bind over here (in the USA), if you hadn't noticed, and the school is probably just as bad off as I am.

I'll take a look at TileMax. Really, I just need a good graphics engine (GFX are my weak point), I can get the 1337 mathz going myself.

EDIT:

Oh, I didn't know it was that not-far-along.

Gabriel(Posted 2009) [#8]
Anyway, how much would a "site liscense" run the school?

You'll have to ask them. They've made it clear in the past that educational licenses (which is what you should ask about) are not negotiated in public.