Some basic BlitzMax questions

BlitzMax Forums/BlitzMax Beginners Area/Some basic BlitzMax questions

Farflame(Posted 2009) [#1]
I've been fiddling around with VB2008 lately and although I do like some of the features and do need something like it to create an application I'm working on, when it comes down it, it's writing games that really gets me interested and VB sucks for that.

However, a few things I can do with VB are handy and I'm wondering if anything like them are possible in BlitzMax (or Blitzplus).

To begin with, I need to develop a Windows-style application, with listboxes, textboxes etc. This works fine in VB and has come along nicely but I'm so annoyed at the number of installing problems I've had from my customers that I'm tempted to start from scratch. Am I right in thinking that Blitzplus handles listboxes etc just as well as VB?

More importantly however, I want to be able to publish my finished application to a webpage and have it auto-update when I create a new version. This is really handy for my business (which is an email Football-management game) as it means I don't have to mess around announcing updates all the time. Is there any way to do this with either BP or BM? Maybe even with a 3rd-party installer or something? Or would I be right in thinking that any completed BP/BM product would need to first be packaged with an installer and then downloaded/installed by the user?

While I'm asking lots of questions, is BM still being updated and are newer versions in the pipeline?

Sorry for lots of questions in one topic :p

degac(Posted 2009) [#2]
Hi and welcome

1. Blitzplus handles listboxes etc... - honestly I don't know, you should post in the BP forum or test the demo version.
Bmax with its own MaxGUI module offers a 'standard' GUI for every platform, and sure it can handle listboxes

2. Auto-update: I'm quite sure someone has written an application/framework for this option (I dont' remember the name sorry!), but in any case is not a hard work.

3. BM is still being updated? Yes of course, BRL has recently released r.134, and fixes and improvements will be surely present

Farflame(Posted 2009) [#3]
Thanks for the reply.

So you're saying that auto-updates from a webpage and standard controls such as listboxes etc.... these are all things that I can do with Blitzmax?

The truth is, I've programmed a lot with Blitz3D and am very comfortable with it. I'm NOT comfortable with VB and it's limits. If I can do the things I want with BM, I'm switching back :)

Brucey(Posted 2009) [#4]
standard controls such as listboxes etc

Single column listboxes with MaxGUI. Yes.

If you want proper "application" type functionality (rather than graphics-intensive game stuff), you should probably look elsewhere.

Czar Flavius(Posted 2009) [#5]
Here's an idea, make an entirely web-based football management game, where player teams compete online :D

Farflame(Posted 2009) [#6]
I did that a couple of years ago, written in Blitz3d. But it didn't work out because it was too complicated and tbh, I had no idea how to get ppl to play it. A few hundred joined but it was too complex to get into.

Czar Flavius(Posted 2009) [#7]
Wow.. a few hundred people joined? It sounds like you got people to play it. (Re: my suggestion, I was thinking browser-based, players log in to make changes, and at midnight or sometime, games are matched and processed)

Farflame(Posted 2009) [#8]
I can't tell if you're being sarcastic tbh :p

Well the game was really good, it could handle millions of players, it ran smoothly etc, but it did have 3 major drawbacks which let it down. Firstly it was too complicated and people really can't be bothered learning complex games nowadays (well most people can't). Secondly it waited for a league to fill before it started processing, which doesn't work for the first guy who joins. And thirdly, yes, it needs to be browser-based so no downloading etc.

There are some browser-based games out there already. I'd consider re-writing it in a browser but I don't think I can do that in Blitz :(