Linker problems when using Framework... and Import

BlitzMax Forums/BlitzMax Beginners Area/Linker problems when using Framework... and Import

Jean-Marie(Posted 2009) [#1]
Hi,

I wanted to give a try to limiting the imported modules to the ones I need. So I put at the beginning of my program:

Framework BRL.Graphics
Import BRL.Max2D
Import BRL.EventQueue

It compiles, but the linker fails with several errors like:
Building draw_main
Compiling:draw_main.bmx
flat assembler  version 1.64
3 passes, 2180 bytes.
Linking:draw_main
/home/jean-marie/apps/BlitzMax/mod/brl.mod/math.mod/math.release.linux.x86.a(math.c.release.linux.x86.o): In function `bbSqr':
math.c:(.text+0x50): undefined reference to `sqrt'
... a lot more in math.c...
/home/jean-marie/apps/BlitzMax/mod/brl.mod/blitz.mod/blitz.release.linux.x86.a(blitz_cclib.c.release.linux.x86.o): In function `bbFloatPow':
blitz_cclib.c:(.text+0xab): undefined reference to `pow'
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
Build Error: Failed to link ...

I am running BlitzMax 1.30 on Ubuntu 9.04.
How can I get this fixed?

Jean-Marie.

markcw(Posted 2009) [#2]
You're using the wrong module for Framework, try using brl.max2d.

Brucey(Posted 2009) [#3]
You need to re-build your app with "Quick Build" disabled.

GfK(Posted 2009) [#4]
You're using the wrong module for Framework, try using brl.max2d.
That makes no difference at all, as long as you Framework one, and Import the rest.

markcw(Posted 2009) [#5]
Oh that's right, sorry.

Jean-Marie(Posted 2009) [#6]
I tried with the QuickBuild tip; it was already disabled.

To be sure, I went to the shell, deleted everything in .bmx/ and run the compiler-linker from hand:

rm .bmx/*
bmk MakeApp draw_main.bmx

with the same failure.

Can someone help further?

Thanks. Jean-Marie.

Jean-Marie(Posted 2009) [#7]
I checked my libc; have both libc and libc-dev installed, version 2.9-4ubuntu6

Jean-Marie(Posted 2009) [#8]
I made a try on windows. On windows XP, it compiles and links, but running the program does nothing. Not even a graphic windows displays.

am i doing st wrong?

markcw(Posted 2009) [#9]
Try using Framework brl.basic which imports brl.math, and try running the sample apps to see if they work.

Jean-Marie(Posted 2009) [#10]
I tried with Firepaint. After removing the Rem...End Rem and adding some missing imports (Import BRL.Max2D in firepaint.bmx and Import BRL.Math in color.bmx) I get the same kind of linker errors, in math and other libs:

Brucey(Posted 2009) [#11]
Okay... with those kind of errors, you need to consider re-building all of the modules to work with your current version of GCC.

It's quite possible that you also don't have all the required dev libraries installed on your system.

There's a good post HERE which details what libraries you should have for building apps with BlitzMax on Ubuntu 9.04.

plash(Posted 2009) [#12]
Another note (and this is unlikely), if you happen to have the blitzmax/lib folder symlinked to a Windows installation of BlitzMax and that folder happens to have libstdc, gcc, or somesuch, you may encounter errors like this.

Always check for things like that, update GCC (to a compatible version) and rebuild mods

Jean-Marie(Posted 2009) [#13]
ok, i tried to install packages, as proposed in the post mentioned by Brucey; didn't help. Anyway, as it works properly if I don't use Framework/Import, I would have supposed that necessary libs are there - or am I missing st here?

so I downloaded 1.33rc5, bmk makemods and built my app. It compiles and links without error. But... it crashes on run:

~>Unhandled Exception:Attempt to access field or method of Null object
~>

(same code compiles, links and runs fine when using bmk 1.30 or 1.33rc5, as long as I don't use Framework and Import directives).

Brucey(Posted 2009) [#14]
Your errors are a bit vague.

Unhandled Exception:Attempt to access field or method of Null object

For image loading, you need to import all the image loader modules for the image types you expect to use. (eg. BRL.PNGLoader)

Jean-Marie(Posted 2009) [#15]
@Brucey: Sorry, but I don't have something more precise :-( This is all I get. If you can tell me how I can get more, I would be glad!
I don't load images. And in this case, wouldn't the compiler or linker complain about missing dependencies?

Brucey(Posted 2009) [#16]
Since you are running it in debug mode. When you get that error above, type T and Enter.
It will output a stack trace, which should help understand better the nature of the error in its context.

Jean-Marie(Posted 2009) [#17]
Stack is:

Function draw_main
Function Cls

I have following Fw/Imports:
Framework BRL.Basic
Import BRL.Graphics
Import BRL.Max2D

commenting out the Cls directives produces following:
. no segmentation fault
. no visible window
. but a running draw_main process, consuming a full processor resource

Brucey(Posted 2009) [#18]
Cls is failing because there is no valid Graphics context.

You need to Import BRL.GLMax2D (which will also import BRL.GLGraphics).

The two modules you are currently importing are generic.
GLMax2D is an actual implementation - which you need one of in order to do anything with graphic. On Windows there's also a direct x module which you can use instead.

Jean-Marie(Posted 2009) [#19]
Thanks Brucey, that made it!

Question: why doesn't the compiler or linker complain about missing dependencies?
Another: if the compiler or linker doesn't warn, by which means can I find out which mods I should import, other than experience and intuition?

Thanks again,

Jean-Marie.

Brucey(Posted 2009) [#20]
The dependencies are missing really.

Some modules are designed generically so that you can swap out the different "backend" implementations.
If you forget to include an implementation, it won't know.

The same goes for the image/pixmap loaders. You can build an app with LoadImage() / LoadPixmap() functionality but without any loaders compiled in. When it comes to loading the image at runtime, it will simply return Null from the function.
By Importing a loader module, when the app starts up, the loader module informs the framework that it is available to load images. When you call the function, each registered loader module is called in turn until one returns a valid image.

It's great for supporting expandability, because you aren't hard-coding support for specific graphics/image/etc handling.
But of course, you need to remember to import the correct things in the first place...

Jean-Marie(Posted 2009) [#21]
ok, i understand this pattern. Wouldn't some kind of runtime reporting help here? (exception, displayed warning or st like that)?

Brucey(Posted 2009) [#22]
Wouldn't some kind of runtime reporting help here

Probably :-)