Strange GC Reaction (Debug/non-Debug differ)

BlitzMax Forums/BlitzMax Beginners Area/Strange GC Reaction (Debug/non-Debug differ)

Kernle 32DLL(Posted 2009) [#1]
Hi there again. Today, i step before you with a rather complicated problem. Searching my in-construction engine for memory leaks, i detected a strange thing about the GC. If i ran my app with DebugMode on, i always had 24Bytes uncleaned, wich would magicly disappear if i ran the app in Non-Debug Mode. Searching for the source of this problem, i created the following little 4 Experiments. Please tell me what you think. You'll find further description in the code.

I'm really confused.... Not only does the Debug / Non-Debug thing look really strange to me, but so does the fact that the "problems" described in Experiment 1 & 2 can be solved by writing a second GCCollect() at the designated position in code.

So long,
Kernle

plash(Posted 2009) [#2]
So you're saying 24 bytes of memory would always be present in debug mode, but not in release mode?
That's probably just the overhead data that debug mode uses.. for debugging stuff.

I wouldn't worry about it, 24 bytes isn't going to kill anything.

N(Posted 2009) [#3]
I'm not entirely sure what you're reporting. The descriptions don't actually describe any bugs, and you don't say what the problem is, but there's certainly one odd thing about your code. In the TestType#Remove method, why are you calling GCCollect? The object isn't going to be collected when it's still in scope, so what's the point?

Also, "is there," not "it there." Making the same mistake in all the block comments is just odd.

Kernle 32DLL(Posted 2009) [#4]
Okay, maybe my description wasnt good enough, so i'll try again.

Experiment 1 & 2 try to show you that the created instances there dont get deleted when GCCollect() is called. But if you call GCCollect() twice, they do get deleted. And in my opinion the instances created are never in any scope. Or am i wrong?

Experiment 3 & 4 (4 is only a different way to show it) try to show the original problem. The instance obiously gets deleted, but with Debugmode turned on, some bytes dont get deleted.

You may say now "heck, 24 Bytes, forget about them". You may be right, but i really want to know what Debug / Non-Debug makes a difference for the GC. Especially why the (in this examples by the way a bit less than 24) Bytes dont get cleaned. It's obius that there is something not right with the GC in Debugmode in my (maybe stupid) opinion.

Nilium: Yes, I forgot about that scope thing...
Oh, and i think i should have mentioned that i'm from germany, and so, my english isnt the best.

N(Posted 2009) [#5]

I think you'll find that the instances do get deleted.

Kernle 32DLL(Posted 2009) [#6]
Ok thanks for this improvement. Now compare Experiment 3 with Debugger On and Off.

DebugOff
Calling GCCollect
StartMemory: 16526
[TestType#Remove] Calling GCCollect
Calling GCCollect
ProveMemory: 16538

DebugOn
Calling GCCollect
StartMemory: 15710
[TestType#Remove] Calling GCCollect
Calling GCCollect
#<TestType:017D47E0 @name="Ralf"> deleted
ProveMemory: 15710

Just as i tought, with Debugmode Off, the instance gets not deleted (explaining the left-over bytes). The question now is: Why? Thats the point i was aiming at with this thread in the first place.

Also, if you delete Experiment 3 as suggested in the code, you'll see the same effect on that Experiment 4, too. Because with Experiment 3 in there, Experiment 4 deletes correctly with Debug On and Off. Meaning: This problem only occoures once, after that, the GC does work normally again.

N(Posted 2009) [#7]
The GC is working normally already. The GC doesn't always free memory because the memory might be reused later. If you don't believe me, go look at its source code.

TaskMaster(Posted 2009) [#8]
Also, you are not guaranteed that a delete will be called when your program ends.

Kernle 32DLL(Posted 2009) [#9]
I still dont get it. Why does the GC NOT delete TestType:017D47E0 @name="Ralf" with DebugMode On, while he does with DebugMode Off? There is no reason whatsoever, or am I overlooking something? And no, I havent see into the GCs code yet, and I dont quite thing it would help me.

xlsior(Posted 2009) [#10]
you're pretty much telling the garbage collector to feel free to get rid of something now, that it's OK to clear it.
There are no guarantees that it actually does it right there and then, since it tends to save up some work and then does it all at once.