Question regarding compiling and runtimes

BlitzMax Forums/BlitzMax Beginners Area/Question regarding compiling and runtimes

xcessive(Posted 2009) [#1]
Hello,
Im really new to BlitzMax and programming itself. I know the basics of... BASIC.... anyway i have a question. If i wanted to make an application that created its own other applications how would i do that? Im just curious and im probably going to sound like a complete idiot, but the question stands. I've seen many applications, for example other BASIC compilers that take your source code and turn it into an app.. im just really curious as too how, i have no actual intention of doing it myself, but i really want to know whats going on.

iprice(Posted 2009) [#2]
BlitzMax already does that - everytime you run your program it creates an .EXE file.

If you want to include all of your media then use "IncBin" to integrate that into just the one .EXE file.

Is that what you mean?

xcessive(Posted 2009) [#3]
What i mean is... say i made an app that allows you to create an interactive text adventure game, how would i give my app the functionality to make this interative text game its own stand alone .exe?

Gabriel(Posted 2009) [#4]
You'd write a compiler.

But personally, I wouldn't create an exe, I'd write an exe in BlitzMax which then ran whatever interpreted or compiled scripts the text adventure creator wanted it to run, because it's vastly easier than writing a compiler but still works the same way to the end user. You could do the latter with one of the Lua modules quite easily.

xcessive(Posted 2009) [#5]
Thanks, so like a token compiler but for a text adventure!