Why Doesnt BlitzMax work on Vista?

BlitzMax Forums/BlitzMax Beginners Area/Why Doesnt BlitzMax work on Vista?

Hotshot2005(Posted 2009) [#1]
I have new Window Vista Ultimate and I have install BlitzMax and it doesnt work as it only work for Win XP which is a shame....it look like I have sell the BlitzMax!

GaryV(Posted 2009) [#2]
Just because you do not know how to properly use Vista or BlitxMax does not mean that BlitzMax does not work on Vista. It works on Vista just fine.

Hotshot2005(Posted 2009) [#3]
HOW do you make BlitzMax work on Vista please?

GaryV(Posted 2009) [#4]
Have you disabled UAC for BM?

jkrankie(Posted 2009) [#5]
or install it in your documents folder?

Cheers
Charlie

Barnabius(Posted 2009) [#6]
Are you sure you have the latest graphics driver, too? MS's drivers that come with Vista don't support OpenGL, so that may be another problem.

Barney

Hotshot2005(Posted 2009) [#7]
GaryV:
Have you disabled UAC for BM? - How do I do that please?

jkrankie:
or install it in your documents folder? - Not sure abouut that

Barnabius:
Are you sure you have the latest graphics driver, too? - Yes I have
MS's drivers that come with Vista don't support OpenGL, so that may be another problem. - hmmm

Zeke(Posted 2009) [#8]
start-> control panel -> user accounts -> turn user accounts on/off -> uncheck "Use User Account Control (UAC) to help protect your computer" -> click OK

LineOf7s(Posted 2009) [#9]
If you assume every problem you have with it is BlitzMax's fault enough that you'd start a thread in a public forum saying so, then yes, perhaps it's safer in the long run if you indeed "sell the Blitzmax".

_Skully(Posted 2009) [#10]
HotShot2005

I know the frustrations with getting something new and it doesnt appear to work... no worries...

Max works on Vista as I am using on Vista... BUT, the User Account Control prevents you from compiling programs created under the default "Program Files" folders..

so.. if you want to run the samples you need to move them to your user/documents folder and when creating code you need to create it under the user/documents folder as well.

Alternatively you can run BMax as an administrator in which case it will work fine... yes, disabling UAC will work but its not necessary.

Cheers

GaryV(Posted 2009) [#11]
GaryV:
Have you disabled UAC for BM? - How do I do that please?
Perhaps you should reinstall XP since Vista is obviously beyond your skill level.

I find it amazing that for a product that has been out for years, suddenly somebody pops up and declares it does not work with an operating system that is several years old. If this were true, don't you think somebody would have noticed it by now? Not to mention the numerous discussions on the forums over the years of using BM with Vista, and the numerous Vista based screenshots of BM-created games/apps.

The sheer arrogance you are showing is disgusting. It is not the fault of BRL if you have bought an OS and have no idea how to use the OS. Your refusal to abide by the development guidelines set by MS for Vista is not the fault of BRL.

Nate the Great(Posted 2009) [#12]
ok right click the blitz max Icon and click run as administrator. :) problem solved

_Skully(Posted 2009) [#13]
GaryV,

The sheer arrogance you are showing is disgusting. It is not the fault of BRL if you have bought an OS and have no idea how to use the OS. Your refusal to abide by the development guidelines set by MS for Vista is not the fault of BRL.

Someone piss on your cornflakes or something? Someone can be a game developer without knowing the in's and outs of an OS. Chill out.

GaryV(Posted 2009) [#14]
Someone can be a game developer without knowing the in's and outs of an OS
Might be hard in this case when the lack of OS knowledge is keeping you from even running the programming language used to write games *grin*

_Skully, apologies for implying that somebody should use a little commonsense instead of immediately blaming BRL ;)

If you assume every problem you have with it is BlitzMax's fault enough that you'd start a thread in a public forum saying so, then yes, perhaps it's safer in the long run if you indeed "sell the Blitzmax".
I agree 100%.

Amon(Posted 2009) [#15]

Perhaps you should reinstall XP since Vista is obviously beyond your skill level.

I find it amazing that for a product that has been out for years, suddenly somebody pops up and declares it does not work with an operating system that is several years old. If this were true, don't you think somebody would have noticed it by now? Not to mention the numerous discussions on the forums over the years of using BM with Vista, and the numerous Vista based screenshots of BM-created games/apps.

Calm down buddy. Sheez!

Mr. Write Errors Man(Posted 2009) [#16]
BlitzMax installer doesn't follow Windows best practices, so it's a bit messed on Vista.

Fix it by adding full rights for your Windows account for your BlitzMax folder. Done from "security" tab of folder's properties, or something.

joncom2000(Posted 2009) [#17]
The comment that it doesnt work on vista is wrong, it does as many have said in this thread. I am happily using it on vista as well. It does however require UAC or secruity changes be done if you install it to the default program files location, it doesnt need these changes if you install it anywhere else.

Mr. Write Errors Man(Posted 2009) [#18]
Some of the other Windows standard locations also require changes, though. Best to install to some totally custom location like C:\BlitzMax, if you don't want to mess with UAC or folder security.

Gabriel(Posted 2009) [#19]

Before launching personal attacks on users, you should probably get your facts straight. Those "development guidelines" you refer to tell developers to put their files and folders which need write access in one of the appdata folders. That means BRL, not the users. When you release something you made with BlitzMax, you are the developer. When you install BlitzMax, BRL is the developer.

The BlitzMax installer does not do this, and as such, it is precisely BRL's fault that this issue arises, not the users. For reference, you might check out how Visual Studio installs things, as it does things the right way.

_Skully(Posted 2009) [#20]
Gabriel,

Case and match... your quite right.

Perhaps Mark can modify the installer and a couple path references to adhere to the guidelines to eliminate this problem.

GaryV(Posted 2009) [#21]
you should probably get your facts straight. Those "development guidelines" you refer to
Indeed, that is why it was in the third sentence and not a part of the other two.

Before launching personal attacks on users
I have made no personal attack.

it is precisely BRL's fault that this issue arises
It is not the fault of BRL that somebody does not know how to use their OS. It is also not the fault of BRL that somebody falsely declares that BM doesn't work on Vista, when it is clearly user error.

LineOf7s does offer the best advice in this case.

Perhaps Mark can modify the installer and a couple path references to adhere to the guidelines to eliminate this problem.
Perhaps you should read Mark's previous comments on this very issue.

_Skully(Posted 2009) [#22]
GaryV,

Your not making any sense what-so-ever.

Your sentence was

A.. This is a personal attack, and...
B.. If you install BlitzMax, create a new program, and compile it to run under Vista without moving your home folder and/or the samples to the user/documents directory, it will not run unless you run as administrator or disable UAC. It appeared to him that it didn't run and you chose to jump all over him for suggesting it didn't work or not being an OS expert.

Lets be clear, that as mentioned by Gabriel, It is BRL that has not adhered to MS development standards for Vista... an easy mistake to make when you are coming from XP and are also supporting Mac and Linux to boot.

How about putting the claws away, chilling out, and just addressing the problem rather than posting unhelpful and quite nasty comments to someone who was obviously just seeking some help.

GaryV(Posted 2009) [#23]
A.. This is a personal attack, and...
Excuse me? How is saying somebody is acting arrogant a personal attack? I am commenting on his actions, not him as a person.

It appeared to him that it didn't run and you chose to jump all over him for suggesting it didn't work or not being an OS expert.
You seem confused.

1. He jumped all over BRL declaring that BlitzMax does not work on Vista.
2. I said nothing about being an OS expert. I said he doesn't know how to use the OS which is 100% correct based on the info he has given. I also said he should not blame BRL for his mistake.

It would be nice if Hotshot2005 would offer BRL an apology.

It is BRL that has not adhered to MS development standards for Vista...
Mark has made a statement on the solution to this. But, it hasn't been implemented yet AFAIK.

As a developer himself, Hotshot2005 should be aware of issue and should know the remedy. It isn't like this is something new. It is not really fair to blast BRL and claim that BM doesn't work on Vista and threaten to sell your copy of BM just because you do not know how to use the OS you just bought.

Contrary to comments in posts above, if you are going to be a developer (games, apps, etc), you do need to have a basic understanding of the OS you will be dealing with. This particular topic has popped up continually since Vista was released. A few seconds spent using the search feature is far more fair than blasting BRL for no reason.

_Skully(Posted 2009) [#24]
Calling him arrogant is a personal attack actually. Do you know him? No... Do you know if he is translating languages? no.. Besides the fact that "arrogant" wasn't even an appropriate choice of words, you made assumptions about his person and his intent with the email... aka personal attack

I have new Window Vista Ultimate and I have install BlitzMax and it doesnt work as it only work for Win XP which is a shame....it look like I have sell the BlitzMax!

He bought it, it didn't work and he wasn't sure why, so he thinks he'll have to sell it. I don't see any attack against BRL, nor arrogance... just frustration.

I'm not sure there is any benefit to carrying on with this thread... It just sounds like you inserted your foot into your mouth and now your trying to chew through the tread to get back on your feet.

Brucey(Posted 2009) [#25]
Well... this all looks nice to anyone glancing into the Beginners forum...