Blitzmax OpenGL (GLEW) tutorials with shader howto

BlitzMax Forums/BlitzMax Beginners Area/Blitzmax OpenGL (GLEW) tutorials with shader howto

Brazilian Joe(Posted 2009) [#1]
Dear all,

I have purchased BlitzMax, looking around the forums I read there is a GLEW extension which supports all OpenGL extensions.

I have been reading around the web about how to create natural-looking landscape, and being a 'lone wolf' developer it looks like the way to minimize the work needed to attain a rich world is to cleverly use procedural textures to create landscape and organic-looking textures.

Most of the information seems to revolve around noise generators, mostly implementing Perlin noise, but simplex looks like a better alternative. Anyone can comment on implementign that on the GPU (GLSL)?

I have some experience with programming, but on an entirely different area (web development).

I believe there is something in the help for me find out how to add the GLEW module to the project, but if anyone can show me the way, I would very much be grateful.

I would also like to ask for directions to tutorials on GLSL, or if anyone has direct experience on doing that inside BlitzMax, I would very much like to read some hints and code on how to get it.

Of course, the basic OpenGL stuff is very welcome (how to build/import meshes, create a character to move around).

I am aware of Leadwerks, but it's windows only (I am on a Mac) and I actually want to get my hands dirty on the 3D stuff ;-)

My intent is to play around building a space exploration game. I am not in a hurry, no expectations on finishing this project for the xmas season, I just want to have a good time coding, and if I ever get something good enough, I will sell it. Otherwise I may publish it for free.

markcw(Posted 2009) [#2]
Hi Joe and welcome to the forums.

This is the Beginner forum, you're better to post GL questions in the GL forum. You'll find some topics about GLSL are in there, for example this one.

I don't know much about GLSL but if it's any help, here's a GLSL tutorial, some shader examples and a directx-oriented shader tutorial.

SoggyP(Posted 2009) [#3]
Hello.

Bleedin'Ell! A seemingly cleverly constructed, well-advanced, researched, sensibly time-framed, polite and possibly realistic question in the beginners area with an equally polite, sensible and helpful response that also directs to a more appropriate place without sniping!

This should be made sticky, it's a keeper.

:o)

Oh, and welcome Joe!

Goodbye.

Brazilian Joe(Posted 2009) [#4]
:-)

Well, I am a beginner in BlitzMax! That's why I posted here...
And I was looking for advice on how to get started ('begin') in GL stuff, so i figured I should post here...
But I will delve a bit on the GL forums and post there.

Brgds