Screen stretched on wide screen laptop

BlitzMax Forums/BlitzMax Beginners Area/Screen stretched on wide screen laptop

Rico(Posted 2009) [#1]
Hi I am running a game that I wrote on my old laptop on my new one. The new one has a wide screen. The old one just had a normal squarish screen. The game runs in 1024x768 mode. I don't like how it looks on the new screen because everything is strecthed horizontally. Is there a way I can run it in non-windowed mode (cos its faster and smoother) but have it take up less of the screen display? I don't like it stretched :(

Thank you :)

dan_upright(Posted 2009) [#2]
there's a setting for this somewhere in windows - i can't find it on my current laptop (nvidia card) but it was in the advanced display properties on the last one (which was ati)

if you can't find it in windows, it *might* be in the bios, because i'm fairly certain it's just the hardware trying to avoid "unsightly" black bars around the image, rather than a problem with your code

xlsior(Posted 2009) [#3]
It depends on the video card drivers that came with your laptop -- some give you the option to stick with a fixed aspect ratio, stretch to fill the screen, or keep the exact size.
Poke around in the driver settings (or control program, like ATI catalyst, Intel display manager, nvidia whatever)

On a select few laptops you may also find display features like that selecteble through the computer BIOS. (On my desktop, I can set the aspect ratio settings through the menu on my monitor itself, telling it not to stretch)

But bottom line: depending on what video card and laptop you have, you may be out of luck and be stuck with the stretched graphics.

Now, since this is a game that you wrote yourself, this does bring up an important point: When writing software these days, it's a pretty big deal to handle widescreen displays by your program as well. Worst case, allow the user to set a widescreen resolution and draw black bars on the sides -- but if you simply ignore widescreen as an option, you'll have MANY users that run into the same problem since the vast majority of new computers (and especially laptops) these days are sold with widescreen displays.