Sound delay on new laptop

BlitzMax Forums/BlitzMax Beginners Area/Sound delay on new laptop

Rico(Posted 2009) [#1]
Hi I recently got a faster new laptop that runs under Vista. I have got Blitzmax working nicely on it, but the sound effects in my game now seem to be on a delay. That is they don't start playing straight away.

I wrote a test program to make sure it wasn't to do with my game code and the same problem occured. Its anything that is played using the Playsound command. Does anyone know what is wrong? Thank you.

GfK(Posted 2009) [#2]
Yep, try using SetAudioDriver to change to DirectSound, or better still, install OpenAL and use that, as DirectSound has problems of its own.

FreeAudio simply doesn't work right in Vista.

xlsior(Posted 2009) [#3]
FreeAudio doesn't work right on some Vista computers. (It works OK on some, but doesn't on a sizable chunk so it's best avoided even if it works OK on your own computer)

Rico(Posted 2009) [#4]
Gfk - Thanks for the help. Sorry I am a bit new to doing this, what is SetAudioDriver? also do I just get OpenAL from the internet?

xlsior - Thank you. what do you use instead of FreeAudio?

GfK(Posted 2009) [#5]
SetAudioDriver()
OpenAL

This might also help:
Strict

EnableOpenALAudio()
For Local s:String = EachIn AudioDrivers()
	Print s
Next

GaryV(Posted 2009) [#6]
Use Audiere. It will solve all of your problems.

GfK(Posted 2009) [#7]
Use Audiere. It will solve all of your problems.
Not really as there is no Blitzmax wrapper for it that I know of so its not really beginner's territory. Do you know different?

GaryV(Posted 2009) [#8]
Not really as there is no Blitzmax wrapper for it that I know of so its not really beginner's territory.
Just because you don't know how to use it, doesn't make it a bad solution. There is no need for a "wrapper". BlitzMax has the built-in capability of accessing DLLs just fine.

GfK(Posted 2009) [#9]
Just because you don't know how to use it, doesn't make it a bad solution.
I didn't say it was a bad solution. I asked "do you know different?".

Stop being so arsey.

Rico(Posted 2009) [#10]
Thank you everyone for all the help.

SetAudioDriver(FreeAudio DirectSound) worked very nicely .

No delay now :) Setting it to just DirectSound also got rid of the delay but made it sound funny, kind of lower pitched and a bit muffled.

I am very happy now, thank you.