OpenAL quiet?

BlitzMax Forums/BlitzMax Beginners Area/OpenAL quiet?

QuickSilva(Posted 2009) [#1]
Is it just me or do others find that music seems quieter when setting the audio driver in BMax to OpenAL? DirectSound and FreeAudio work fine (apart from the 1 second delay with the former) but I really want to use OpenAL.

Jason.

QuickSilva(Posted 2009) [#2]
This is still a problem for me. Does anyone else get this problem and is there a solution? I`m using .oggs if that makes any difference for my music.

I`m using Vista too. FreeAudio and DirectSound play the music at its proper volume but OpenAL is about half as quiet. Why is this?

Jason.

GfK(Posted 2009) [#3]
I have noticed that OpenAL is marginally quieter, but not so much that I'd worry about it.

Are you using "OpenAL Generic Software"? Or some other one?

QuickSilva(Posted 2009) [#4]
I think that it was installed automatically with my sound card. Maybe I should try the .dlls instead. Can I just place them in my game folder so that they are used over my installed ones?

Jason.

QuickSilva(Posted 2009) [#5]
OK problem solved. It turns out that it was one of the settings for 3D virtual sound in my soundcards settings that was causing the problem.

Thanks GfK for the help though.

Jason.

Grey Alien(Posted 2009) [#6]
It's a little quieter but not a lot. It's smoother than the DirectSound driver which is loud and sometimes clicky. Anyway glad you solved your particular issue.