sswift's sprite system questions

BlitzMax Forums/BlitzMax Beginners Area/sswift's sprite system questions

Uber Jase(Posted 2009) [#1]
Hi,

I've usd blit3d/sprite candy for a while and just moved on to BMax. How does sswift's system compare with SC, and can you use the dx9 driver with it?

Thanks in advance

GaryV(Posted 2009) [#2]
You might want to check if it is actually being maintained and orders filled. I can find no actual site for the product, support forums or anything else. The only mention is an ad placed in the worklog (worklogs shouldn't be used as a web page for selling products. That is really taking advantage of BRLs resources.) for that individual.

Since the individual is soley using BRL resources to promote, sell and provide support for the product and has been banned from the forums due to his abusive nature and repeated attacks on BRL, I would be very cautious ordering and of his products.

GaryV(Posted 2009) [#3]
As to how well it actually works, considering the gripes and flames from this guy because of his inability to use the most basic aspects of BMax, I wouldn't put much faith in any of his coding.

Uber Jase(Posted 2009) [#4]
Thanks mate:) Is there any Alteratives? Im looking for something that has collision shapes like Sprite Candy.

GaryV(Posted 2009) [#5]
I am not familiar with it, but you might try:

retroremakes-framework

and Chroma has just started:

BMax 2D Framework

Perhaps those would be useful, or at least a starting point?

Jesse(Posted 2009) [#6]

I wouldn't put much faith in any of his coding.

That is not nice. Specially from somebody who don't own his product.
On the other hand, I own his product and he did complain from BMAX about the same things he suffered from. The last update release failed to provide a proper tutorial and working samples. I emailed him and he wasn't much help. I had to go through his code to finally figure out how to use it. It's not what you want to do when you buy a library. His library it's not that bad it's just another bmax per say. It seems that now adays every tool developer want us to spend as much time learning to use it as we do writting our own. It's the "lets eliminate the instructions to save some meney, time or work." syndrome. ;)

GaryV(Posted 2009) [#7]
Uber Jase: Several years ago, he released his old BOBs system for free to the community in an old post. Perhaps you can track that down and convert the code for use with BMax?

That is not nice. Specially from somebody who don't own his product.

1. The fact that this guy gives you access to his business records so you can determine who is or is not a customer, further speaks to the character of the individual.

2. Are you seriously telling me that sprite handling code written by somebody who cannot figure out how to update BMax or use the most basic BMax commands is capable of producing code that you are willing to use as an integral part of your game? If you really believe this, I have some ocean-front property in Arizona to sell you and I will even throw in the old London Bridge as a bonus if you buy the property in the next 24 hours.

Jesse(Posted 2009) [#8]
OK, I'll have you my lawyers to discuss that with you?

You know I go the code archives to look at all of the stuff that is there. bmax(my favorite), bplus( I am forgeting some of it but it still usefull to me) and b3d( don't know but sence logic is the same, I find some of the stuff usefull too)
even though he choose not to spend time learning to use svn, that does not make him or anybody a bad programmer. He may have a bad attitude, and deal with things the wrong way but I thing he deserves the benefit of the doubt.
Bottom line, I wouldn't be so harsh based on opinion alone.

Gabriel(Posted 2009) [#9]
Given that this thread contains claims which no one can hope to prove or disprove (eg: claims that Swift gives records out to anyone who asks) and that the person potentially being slandered has no ability to reply, I would suggest that it might be wise to lock this thread as previous threads with potentially slanderous comments about people with no ability to respond were. The fact that the individual in question is banned from these forums is neither here nor there when it comes to exposing BRL to legal action.

Amon(Posted 2009) [#10]
@GaryV

Consider getting all the facts right before trolling your way through this thread. You have made some nasty comments against a long standing member of this community. Plus, I know for a fact he could code you under the table.

I believe Lego contracted him to make the last game he made and it was put on the official Lego Website.

You have absolutely no idea what Shawns abilities with coding are, GaryV.

I think it is also very lame for you to say all these things here knowing full well sswift can't respond.

When you've coded as much as sswift, shadow systems etc and have been contracted by major businesses to write games for them then maybe you can trump that horn but atm your a new guy with absolutely no clue what he's talking about.

Why don't you pop over to syntaxbomb and speak to sswift yourself? Then maybe you'll get a clue.

Link here: http://www.syntaxbomb.com/forums/showthread.php?s=bffb541f6d02f509ff65793d0c1dd1ae&t=2514

GaryV(Posted 2009) [#11]
I can only judge the man on his actions and expressed capabilities (or lack thereof in this case). I do not need to jump to conclusions, I am willing to take the man at his word.

It is nice to see so many people defending somebody who so nastily trashed BRL and Mark (and Mark's capabilities) every chance he got. However, as the link Amon kindly provided, this character has no problem putting down BRL, Mark and Mark's capabilities, but whines when somebody questions his capabilities. The phrase "he can dish it out but can't take it" comes to mind.

Amon(Posted 2009) [#12]
GaryV Wrote

I do not need to jump to conclusions.

You did though

It is nice to see so many people defending somebody who so nastily trashed BRL and Mark (and Mark's capabilities) every chance he got.

Nastilly, Eh? Every Chance he got, Eh?

Your proof of this is where? Or are you jumping to conclusions?

character has no problem putting down BRL, Mark and Mark's capabilities, but whines when somebody questions his capabilities. The phrase "he can dish it out but can't take it" comes to mind.

That's a stupid conclusion to make for a person who doesn't need to jump to conclusions.

Later buddy... Keep trolling! I like reading it.

Gabriel(Posted 2009) [#13]
It is nice to see so many people defending somebody who so nastily trashed BRL and Mark (and Mark's capabilities) every chance he got.

Where to begin..

Firstly, he did not trash BRL or Mark more than once or twice. Would that I were perfect, as you must be, that I could judge someone for a slip or two.

Secondly, two people (assuming you're counting me) isn't very many.

Thirdly, I haven't defended him. I said your comments were potentially slanderous, depending on whether or not they're true. I defended BRL. For someone who appears so concerned about people causing trouble for BRL and Mark, I'm surprised to see you putting them in a position where they could be legally liable for your comments. In short, I said it was legally imprudent - to say the least - to permit such serious allegations be made against someone who is not able to defend himself.

The phrase "he can dish it out but can't take it" comes to mind.

Coming from someone who is making allegations about someone in a fashion such that the accused is in no position to defend himself, I'm struggling to tell if that was an ill-chosen phrase with serious intent or intentional irony.

Jesse(Posted 2009) [#14]
replied at syntaxbomb. I won't reply here for respect to this thread's author and because it's pointless and possibly lock an innocent's man thread.

markcw(Posted 2009) [#15]
Haha, Sswift will laugh his aspidistra off when he reads this thread.

Uber Jase(Posted 2009) [#16]
So is the sprite system any good then? :)

Dabhand(Posted 2009) [#17]

I think the majority of people can see that BRL are a business, who sell a product, and as such, are open to customer criticism... Its part of the game I'm afraid.

But what does draw my attention is that you are opening attacking sswift and his work, which you currently state he done to Mark, and is the sole point of your ramble.

Mmmmm... Sounds like an auld case of double standards to me.

Dabz

Grey Alien(Posted 2009) [#18]
Sswift is a good coder for sure and a good guy, sometimes perhaps a few of his posts sounded a bit rude though and he got banned not too long ago. Sswift's quite far into making his Alien Space Beetles game now too. He also had a physics engine. Everything seemed neat and well accomplished to me - can't comment on the customer service angle though as I never needed to use it.

He didn't get on with SVN, and in fact I never wanted to use it either (too techy sounding for me, even if it was easy in reality), I simply waited it out until Mark released another full version of BMax. Does this make me a bad programmer? I've made 6 games, so I hope not. However, sometimes I just view some techy stuff as too much hassle (I hate using source control even). I prefer to focus on what I'm good at and get results.

markcw(Posted 2009) [#19]
Old habits die hard, as they say. It's easy when you know what buttons not to press.

D4NM4N(Posted 2009) [#20]
1. The fact that this guy gives you access to his business records so you can determine who is or is not a customer, further speaks to the character of the individual.

2. Are you seriously telling me that sprite handling code written by somebody who cannot figure out how to update BMax or use the most basic BMax commands is capable of producing code that you are willing to use as an integral part of your game? If you really believe this, I have some ocean-front property in Arizona to sell you and I will even throw in the old London Bridge as a bonus if you buy the property in the next 24 hours.
(1)Can I ask how you reached this conclusion? Seems a bit inflamatory considering the actual context of post above. And (2)just because someone finds SVN a pain doesnt mean it beyond them. I dont like SVN either but its a nessesary evil standard for developers and clients if they want to use the latest cutting edge between releases.

i suggest going to syntaxbomb where he will be happy to answer this.

Pete Carter(Posted 2009) [#21]
Come on guys Uber Jase only asked if sswift's system is any good not if sswift is a nice bloke or anything about him being band.

Ive used his shadow system with blitz3d and had no trouble very happy with it. havent used his sprite system but i would have thought it would be of simular standard.

I think it would be more productive if we just talk about code to do the job for Uber Jase.

Jesse(Posted 2009) [#22]
Yes, can everybody just stop derailing this mans thread. It is going to get locked and he is not going to get his question answered.

@Uber Jase,
to answer your question, in my opinion, I did find use for it and it is ok. his latest release is a bit hard to follow but if you are willing to get help from him through emails, I guess he can clear all of your issues.
I personally prefer if demos are included. He included them in previous releases but where lacking in his latest one. it normally wouldn't make much difference but sence he change the engine to a point where my program wouldn't run anymore, it made an inpact. I had a hard time recoding it to fit the new way of doing it.
I haven't used sprite candy so I can't make that comparison. I have heard great things about sprite candy but not much about about sswift sprite system but that is just personal experience. SSwift has a thread where he tries to find out what people are doing with his sprite system here:
http://www.blitzbasic.com/Community/posts.php?"topic=78307#878329
but it looks like part of it got lost. I guess if you are an intermediate or beginner programmer it is really good to have as it does help. in reality, what might be good for one might not be good for other so the only way to find out is to try it.

D4NM4N(Posted 2009) [#23]
Yeah sorry, toned it down.

In short:
Not used it but have heard its good.