Graphics command hertz question

BlitzMax Forums/BlitzMax Beginners Area/Graphics command hertz question

QuickSilva(Posted 2009) [#1]
If I set the hertz parameter of the Graphics command to zero will BMax choose the best hertz for my display? Is this based on my desktop hertz? Is this also true with depth?

Thanks for any help,
Jason.

Nate the Great(Posted 2009) [#2]
for your first question. yes the default value is 0 which sets it to the monitor's refresh rate. yes it is also true for depth

QuickSilva(Posted 2009) [#3]
Cheers, just wanted to clarify. It`s a shame that these things are not mentioned in the docs. If these forums didn`t exists I`d be lost.

Jason.

ImaginaryHuman(Posted 2009) [#4]
Blitz tries to use 60hz if you don't tell it otherwise. I forget how it otherwise selects a mode but if you're unsure you can get a list of available display modes and choose one - but if you do that, beware, some hardware reports hz rate as 0 for every mode.

Grey Alien(Posted 2009) [#5]
HZ: I use 60Hz in full-screen because it's widely supported and I also found that some hardware returns 0Hz when queried. In windowed mode I first capture the desktop refresh rate via an API call and then pass that to the graphics command.

Depth: In full-screen I use 32-bit (and if that fails, downscale to 24bit and then 16bit) and I use 0 in Windowed mode (i.e. desktop depth).

These have worked well for me and millions of people have played my games fine.