Problems when compiling modules

BlitzMax Forums/BlitzMax Beginners Area/Problems when compiling modules

elcoo(Posted 2009) [#1]
Hi,
I'm new to blitzmax, I used Blitz3D before.
I've got a problem when I try to install any new module. First of all, the "Build Module" button is greyed, so I can't use that one. So I tried just using "Build" but that gives me the error "Compile Error: Module does not match commandline module". Then, I tried compiling it via commandline but that one always says: "Build Error: failed to compile" and then the module path.
I've got MinGW installed and use Blitzmax 1.30.

Htbaa(Posted 2009) [#2]
Go to the directory of where BlitzMax has been installed. Right mouse button > properties on the directory mod and tmp. Change permissions and give writing permissions to yourself on those directories. Then you should be able to compile the modules again. The option "Build Module" will be available after this.

xlsior(Posted 2009) [#3]
If the 'build module' option is greyed out, it normally means that you haven't set all the environment variables and paths properly so Blitzmax can't automatically detect the presence of MinGW.

(although I did find back in the day when I had a partial install, that pressing CTRL-D in the IDE would compile the modules without problems even though the menu item was greyed out, as long as the MinGW folders where in my path)

You didn't mention the OS you are running, but do know that under Vista you need to add a couple more environment variables to get it working than you need under XP... If you haven't already, search the forums for Vista-specific install instructions for MinGW if that's what you're running.

Gabriel(Posted 2009) [#4]
Open the command prompt and type 'gcc' without the quotes.

If it says "gcc: no input files" or something to that effect, GCC is installed correctly. If it doesn't, it isn't.

elcoo(Posted 2009) [#5]
Sorry, hadn't got the time to test out your advices earlier. I'm running windows XP, sorry I forgot to mention. So I gave fully writing acces to me => Didn't help :(
I already added the MinGW environment Variables, that also didn't solve the problem.
Typeing gcc in the command line gives me exactly "gcc: no input files".
Donno what I'm doing wrong

grable(Posted 2009) [#6]
MINGW environment variable should be all MaxIDE needs, but make sure its in the required format as below.
MINGW=C:/MinGW