Blitzmax Game Framework - alternatives

BlitzMax Forums/BlitzMax Beginners Area/Blitzmax Game Framework - alternatives

Markh999(Posted 2009) [#1]
I've been reading about the above and it sounds great. I note from the Grey Alien web site that it's no longer available to buy.

Does anyone do something similar or is there anywhere else to get a copy from ?

Thanks in advance.

deps(Posted 2009) [#2]
Hello!
Try this one: http://code.google.com/p/retroremakes-framework/

gameproducer(Posted 2009) [#3]
Downloads empty?
http://code.google.com/p/retroremakes-framework/downloads/list

TommyH(Posted 2009) [#4]
Just checkout the source code with your favorite SVN client. Should work fine ;-)

# Non-members may check out a read-only working copy anonymously over HTTP.
svn checkout http://retroremakes-framework.googlecode.com/svn/trunk/ retroremakes-framework-read-only

Cheers,
Tommy

deps(Posted 2009) [#5]
ZIP releases will be made once we reach 1.0, or something close to it.
(When I say we I really mean Muttley, he's the guy who wrote 99.9% of it. I'm mostly writing docs and trying to find time to sit down and code. I wrote a lot of the earlier version, but it's been scrapped and pieces of it got ripped out since this one is so much nicer in every way)

Grey Alien(Posted 2009) [#6]
I took a look at it (well the feature list) a few weeks back and it sounded cool.

btw some part of me balks at all the lost sale opportunities! But I got a good deal so it's fair enough. Wish I could sell it to help people out but alas it's not to be. Hopefully people won't pirate it as that would be unwise.

Volker(Posted 2009) [#7]
Yep, the rrf looks nice. I have it on my HD and often take a look at
it to be inspirated. I decided to use it not before it is official released.
But if it does what it looks like, it will a bit more make Blitzmax
a 'gaming language'.
hint->muttley: TSprite is already used by minib3d ;-)

Markh999(Posted 2009) [#8]
Thanks for these comments everyone - just curious as to why I can't buy Grey Aliens original product - what happened ?

Warpy(Posted 2009) [#9]
Big Fish Games bought it off him to use internally, so he can't sell it any more.

Retimer(Posted 2009) [#10]
Hopefully people won't pirate it as that would be unwise

BFG is teaming up with Hollywood?

This retro framework looks great - but it seems like a lot to add if you're only planning on using some functionality of it. Great reference for source anyhow.

deps(Posted 2009) [#11]
Yes, it can be a bit much, and I would understand if some people would be a bit frightened by it, as it is a lot of OO stuff in there. :)

But the beautiful part is that you really only have to make an instance of your own Type that extends TGameState.
type MyGame extends TGameState
  field xpos:int

method Render()
    drawtext "RRFW for teh win!", xpos,50
  endmethod

method Update()
    xpos :+ 1
    if xpos > 640 then xpos = 0
  endmethod
endtype

Put the graphics code in the Render() method and check for user input and update the game login inside Update(). The framework will take care of the rest. There is some small examples included, and some tutorials is being written.

Once you have your extended Type, it's as simple as doing this:
Global game:MyGame = New MyGame 
rrAddGameState(game) 
rrEngineRun()

Some of you might wonder why you need to have a "state". Well, it will make things a bit easier for you down the road.
For example, once you have the game you might want to create a main menu. Put the logic and drawing commands for it in a different state, and start the game by adding it instead. Then in the Update function you can tell the framework to switch to your game state. Once the gamestate exits, the main menu will pick up and continue from where it left. Highscore table? Another state. Options? Could be yet another state if you doesn't want to mix it with the menu code.
And so on... They're there to help you out, and you are free to abuse them in any way you can imagine.

The framework will take care of the actual updating of the screen, and to make things smooth at all times, so you don't have to worry about it. And the framework let's you use a 1024x768 resolution on a 800x600 screen (if you would like that) or a 160x120 on a 2048xwhathaveyou for a more retro feel. There really is no limits to it and your game will look (mostly) the same no matter what resolution the user wants to run it in.

This is of course just a small example. There's more goodies inside. Send messages between objects in the game (zombieA tells zombieB that a player is in sight, or the player fired a gun and everyone that still has ears and can hear the shot will know where the player is) or maybe you want to use the virtual gamepad? It will let you bind keys, mouse movements, youstick buttons or whatever and things will be a lot easier in the future if you decide that you might want to steer the car by moving the mouse and fire the torpedoes using a joystick button.
and much more.

Well, end of the rant. I hope I made people a bit more interested in it. It's open source so feel free to rip things out of it if you want, as long as you follow the license. (you can find it in the docs folder on the SVN)

GaryV(Posted 2009) [#12]
I looked, but can't find any way to download it without signing up for google or the club/group.

deps(Posted 2009) [#13]
If you use the command line client:
svn checkout http://retroremakes-framework.googlecode.com/svn/trunk/ retroremakes-framework-read-only

GaryV(Posted 2009) [#14]
Gotcha. Will have to do without. Since Mark ditched it, I removed my SVN client. BMax was the only thing I used it for.

Like others, I do agree it is a shame there is not an alternative to Grey's framework. There is definitely a market for it if it were to be actively developed. Somebody was working on one in an old thread, but it seems they have gone silent about it.

Grey Alien(Posted 2009) [#15]
MGE has some kind of sprite thing in the pipeline and SSwift (now banned) had a working one that was popular which also had a physics component (also Oddball has PhysLite).

deps(Posted 2009) [#16]
The RRFW has support for Chipmunk Physics.

DavidDC(Posted 2009) [#17]
I think the retro remakes framework looks excellent. It makes me want to start working on a game. Well done guys.

Retimer(Posted 2009) [#18]
Gotcha. Will have to do without. Since Mark ditched it, I removed my SVN client.

Heh, not sure how wide your range of sourcing goes, but a lot of projects use svn, including 3rd party modules (that have more use/features than many of the official ones).

MGE(Posted 2009) [#19]
"MGE has some kind of sprite thing in the pipeline"

I have had a couple of emails recently probabaly because of that mention, so I should point out that I have put on indefinite hold any plans to release anything. Mainly because I'm involved with several very time consuming projects.

However, I wish I could find the link again, but a few weeks back I found an incredible game framework for Blitzmax. Much more robust than anything I've ever seen before. But I've lost the link! I'm sure they'll make an annoucement here soon. But it had particles, sprites, gui, etc, etc. I just hope it's easy to use. ;)

QuickSilva(Posted 2009) [#20]
Sounds promising. Shame that you cannot find the link. Was it on this forum?

Jason.

Chroma(Posted 2009) [#21]
Hopefully people won't pirate it as that would be unwise.

Umm...considering you got most of the code from the blitz archives, google searches of public domain code, porting snippets from other languages of public domain code, and from the generous people in this forum helping you solve most of the issues you've posted incessantly over the years...I think your statment above is a bit rambunctious if not absurd. But I, as most on this board, forgive you and are still rooting for you. Go Teim! (Doh, I guess there IS an 'i' in team after all...).

Ratboy(Posted 2009) [#22]
By "most" you mean this part?

http://www.blitzbasic.com/Community/posts.php?topic=82765

It's actually a pretty small subset of the whole kit.

Grey Alien(Posted 2009) [#23]
Chroma: By rights I should be rude to you right now because your facts are extremely wrong - but I do not wish to lower myself to your level. Perhaps you were absent a couple of months ago when I made the public domain of my framework (3% of the total) public: http://www.blitzmax.com/Community/posts.php?topic=82765 You've really no idea how I made the framework a) because you don't own it and b) because you are not me. Please don't slander without having accurate facts. Thank you.

@Ratboy: correct. thanks.

Chroma(Posted 2009) [#24]
Geez relax man. But, you are just mentioning the public domain stuff. There's countless times when you asked something for your framework and the answer was given in a post and never put in the archives. So I'm more accurate than not, but no reason to be so touchy. Heck I've asked plenty of questions...it's nothing to be ashamed of...

Doh hold on look at this:

Hey, ccRoundFloat does not work properly with negative numbers.

Fixed version:
Function ccRoundFloat:Float(number:Float, decimals:Int)
	Local t:Int = 10^decimals
	Local result:Float = Int(number * t + 0.5 * Sgn(number))
	Return result / t
End Function

PERFECT example. But no reason to be sore...I'm very grateful for all the help I've received on these forums.

Chroma(Posted 2009) [#25]
Hmm...so the PD code was IN the framework when you sold it to BFG as well as other code that you didn't have permission from the authors to use??? OMG. I'm only half way through that thread tho and I KNEW it was gonna turn out like this. Insane...

Ok...this is like riding on the coattails of others to the top. I can tell by the way GA posts that without help from these forums, there's no way he could have figured out half the formulas on his own. No offense intended. But c'mon!!!

EDIT: There's stuff missing from the PD code... I've seen you ask about the cursor being changed to different cursors, changing the icon in the title bar, the mouse entering and leaving the window, how to detect when the window has been minimized so you can pause the game (I believe Josh replied to that one)...and a LOT more stuff.......

Grey Alien(Posted 2009) [#26]
Sigh.

GaryV(Posted 2009) [#27]
Sigh.

I have used that same exact "Sigh" elsewhere and I really do not appreciate you using my "Sigh" without permission or proper credit.

Grey Alien(Posted 2009) [#28]
lol, that's the spirit.

Anyway, this thread is supposed to be helping people find a framework alternative, it is not supposed to be a trolling zone for spreading misinformation, so hopefully it can get back on track now.

Chroma(Posted 2009) [#29]
Well of course you're going to downplay and avoid this conversation lol...you're the guilty party! ;)

Anyways, yeah I think a community framework would be a good idea. The above code would be a decent start considering it's from the community already.

Amon(Posted 2009) [#30]
Well if he's the guilty party then so is everyone else. Your main complaint atm is that he asked for help on the forums and then went to use the help he got to sell a framework.

By your logic everyone who's ever sold a game where the code they used in the game is code they got help from on forums is also a guilty party.

Here's a fact for you. BFG would not have purchased the rights to the Grey Alien Framework if there was anything dodgy about it.

I'll tell you what's really going on here and what I've noticed about your behaviour when dealing with jake, Chroma.

When Jake first turned up here and started coding games and the framework you immediately tried to out do him. The fact that he made a match 3 Game which he sold didn't sit well with you so you attempted to make a Match 3 Engine and give the sourcecode free to all blitzers. This was your attempt to show Jake that you could do what he does and also give stuff away free where as he would charge. Your Match 3 code didn't quite make it though, did it? You abandoned it half way through when you realised that coding a proper working Match 3 Engine was not as easy as you first thought.

Then of course Jake started coding the framework. You had problems with this also. You then again tried to out do Jake by coding your own Framework to give free to the community. Again this didn't quite work out did it, chroma? You again abandoned this and then began your spate of trolling and attacking Jake for what he was doing.

Then there was a turn around. You realised your negative attitude towards him was just bouncing off him like bullets off Superman so you then went in to a** lick mode. You started with the "bro" stuff etc etc.

And here we are again with another turn around. Your back to trying to cause problems for him.

Here's something for you though Chroma.

Jake = BGF Employee, Fairway Solitaire, Holiday Bonus, Easter Bonus, Xmass Bonus, The Wonderfull Wizard OF OZ, Unwell Mel, Top 10 many times on Portal Websites like BFG and has sold the Grey ALien Framework to BFG for a tidy some (all legit).

Chroma = Forum troll in threads regarding jake or where Jake is mentioned. Suffering from an obvious SUbconcious Jealousy regarding Jake and his success and frequently interupts threads with random accusations and Slander.

That's my take on it. I think what you need to do Chroma is take a chill pill, stop focusing your energy on Jake and focus your thought power on things that will help you achieve as others do.

Grasshopper.

Oddball(Posted 2009) [#31]
Chroma no offence but you should probably stay away from this discussion for a while. You don't appear to have the first clue about what Public Domain means within the context of the law and derived works. Even if Grey had made his framework entirely out of Public Domain material, which he didn't btw, he would still be entitled to sell the intellectual rights to a third party without needing any permission. Also, if anyone gave him code on the forum in answer to a direct request for help by him then their permission would be inferred unless they stated otherwise. Now can we put this whole Grey Alien Framework business to bed now. It's getting really old.

Chroma(Posted 2009) [#32]
Geez guys. Ok well if I'm suffering from jealousy (NOT!) then you guys are obviously GA cult members to defend him like that. Now I've seen everything! ;)

Sorry, but I just don't see the need to reply to all that or defend myself. :)

EDIT: But, the funny thing is...I actually download and play GA's games from BFG for research. So go stick that in your pipe and smoke it! =p Unwel Mel is actually quite good. It's interesting though how graphics never really advance. People still love the cartoony type style.

Dreamora(Posted 2009) [#33]
No, those posting are mainly level 99 troll hunters.

That is advanced graphics style

Eye candy trash is not advanced. Thats an attempt to replicate reality and pretty worthless to anyone but hardcore gamers as any normal person realizes that the best place to experience reality is shuting down the computer and just go outside.
Offers a infinite x infinite resolution and infinite.infinite surround sound.

Normal people play games to leave the reality for a fantasy world for some time, enjoy the trip and have fun.
Thats it.

If you have not realized that, then you should consider looking for another hobby as you are out for money not for game development and not even that little target is reachable due to the missing understanding of the basics.

Chroma(Posted 2009) [#34]
In the spirit of Napoleon Dynamite...

"I don't understand a word you just said."

Lol.

Retimer(Posted 2009) [#35]
There goes another waste of time reading stupid unrelated ignorant troll posts.

Chroma, I was under the impression you were a stand up respectable guy, want to keep it that way and keep things on topic? I'm sure grey has an email you can contact him if you have a problem with him privately, otherwise you're just slandering him in public when most people here have reasonable respect for him.

Chroma(Posted 2009) [#36]
I was under the impression you were a stand up respectable guy

99% of the time I am...but nobody's perfect.

And to get back on topic, here's a link to the BMax 2D Framework at Googlecode. Any code contributions would be appreciated.

http://code.google.com/p/bmax2dframework/

Retimer(Posted 2009) [#37]
Cool, thanks. Will check it out

Matt McFarland(Posted 2009) [#38]
I was just in a hurry to buy this and then found out it was gone :( I tried to install the retro game framework but it didnt work. Couldn't get it to compile for some reason. I suppose it's not compatible with the latest version?

Matt McFarland(Posted 2009) [#39]
Got most of it working once I compiled the modules.. Was hard to figure out how.. :P

Chroma(Posted 2009) [#40]
Matt, you can still get the GA Framework. It's out there...

Czar Flavius(Posted 2009) [#41]
Matt, you can still get the GA Framework. It's out there...
You shouldn't say that, because for a moment you confused me into thinking it was still available to buy (legitimately). (...Then I saw the user name of the poster)

Matt McFarland(Posted 2009) [#42]
I'm fine without it as I need to learn blitzmax itself a lot more then I need to add on a module.

I wanted to use GA so I could do things like player profiles/save games but I'm sure I could learn how to do this myself eventually. I'm trying to do babysteps right now and not get ahead of myself. I've got lots of learning to do :P

I just hate reinventing the wheel, but when it comes to programming reinventing the wheel is beneficial to code memorization.

Grey Alien(Posted 2009) [#43]
Pirating stuff made by a Blitz Forum member is not nice. (if that is what is being alluded to).

I just hate reinventing the wheel, but when it comes to programming reinventing the wheel is beneficial to code memorization.
Agreed, good luck. Sorry I am unable to sell it any more.

Matt McFarland(Posted 2009) [#44]
Good luck to you too Jake and Congrats on your recent success :)

spacerat(Posted 2009) [#45]
Hopefully people won't pirate it as that would be unwise.

Why would it be unwise? It's not like you're making money from selling it any more, so what harm is done to you if people pirate it?

I'm not trying to come accross as nasty here, I'm just generally confused as to what problems would be caused by people pirating the framework.

MGE(Posted 2009) [#46]
Go ask BigFishGames, they own the code now. ;)

GaryV(Posted 2009) [#47]
Chroma was going to make a competing framework, but it died rather quickly.

xlsior(Posted 2009) [#48]
Why would it be unwise?

- You don't have a license to use the code
- If you create a program with it and distribute it (either sell or for free) you're distributing code that you did not licence
- Big Fish Games (the copyright owner) could take you to court and sue for damages -- even if you create free software, you're still 'competing' with their games after all.
- Bad karma, dude

Happy Sammy(Posted 2009) [#49]
Is there a new framework called "THE PLAYNAIX FRAMEWORK" for blitzmax?
http://www.playniax.com/games/8/
(around Oct 7, according to the author's info)

theHand(Posted 2009) [#50]
Oh, ho ho ho!
3 more days! Very interesting stuff.

I feel bad about not having jumped on Grey Alien's framework (while it was still for sale). I bought a license for BlitzMax during that tiny window where he was about to sell his framework to BFG (I had no idea about BFG, even, at the time), and I could have bought it but I didn't, but that only fuels me (seeing something like that slip away) to work harder.
But, it is done, both in the eyes of the law (which I have little regard for) and as according to Objectivism (which sums up the majority of my outlook).

sswift(Posted 2009) [#51]
There's always my sprite system, if you need something to handle animation and such.

Playniax(Posted 2009) [#52]
And now it is for sale!

It's the first release! Needs some more work on the documentation and examples but we feel it is ready for the first release.

Ian Thompson(Posted 2009) [#53]
I would like a read of the docs, if possible, before purchase?

Scienthsine(Posted 2009) [#54]
Or atleast a comprehensive feature list... Seriously... what would be be buying? I can't find a decent description beyond 'some art and helpful code' type explanations... Fill us in!

Playniax(Posted 2009) [#55]
Ok!

Features:

- Engine mode (a smart 2D display system) works with 7 base types ('iTTask', iTEngine, iTPlayfield, iTLayer, iTLayerSprite, iTSpriteImage and iTGui)
- Collision / score system.
- It's own GUI system (needs better documentation).
- Smart scaling / zoom / fade system.
- 2 player demo game called Gravity Zone.
- Standardised configurable game interface.
- Standardised screen mode selector.
- Modest special effects / particle generator with particle control for creating explosions and smoke.
- Modest sound effects library (will be extended).
- Common code library.
- Source code examples.

There is also a new demo online that contains the doc files this time. You can download on our website. Have a look at the game defenstar youtube clip. It's show what the framework can do.

To do list:

- Improving documentation.
- More examples.
- Profile managing in the game interface.
- Realtime sprite clipping (working on it)
- Sprite map editor.
- Blitmax modules instead of includes (maybe) for the BlitzMax 'professionals'.

Brucey(Posted 2009) [#56]
Blitmax modules instead of includes (maybe) for the BlitzMax 'professionals'.

Yay ! :-p

Playniax(Posted 2009) [#57]
Playniax Framework V1.3 OUT NOW!

New in version 1.3:

- Default graphics driver for windows is DirectX 9.
- Added virtual resolution support.
- New better example of the screen mode selector with aspect ratio.
- Added sprite rotating system.
- Added the DrawImage_ (), DrawLine_ (), DrawRect_ () DrawText_ and Overlay () methods to the 'iTPlayfield' type.

Visit our website for more information:

www.playniax.com

markcw(Posted 2009) [#58]
Playniax, the download link for the Windows demo is broken.

lesslucid(Posted 2009) [#59]
I noticed the same thing, markcw, but then I found another link via a different page that worked... better if Playniax fix it, but if you navigate around you may still be able to get it.

Playniax(Posted 2009) [#60]
Thanks for pointing that out! The link is repaired.

markcw(Posted 2009) [#61]
I couldn't find the other link but I did find that the Gravity Zone demo link was broken.

Hotshot2005(Posted 2009) [#62]
sorry. wrong post!